Computer Museum and U of S Computing History
The Office of the CIO and AVP ICT sponsors the University of Saskatchewan Computer Museum, that was founded in 2002. The museum exists to preserve, display, and interpret computing history, on behalf of the University of Saskatchewan. Although it does not have permanent display space, the museum has periodic exhibits. Visit the Computer Museum Website for more information.
In 2007, the U of S celebrated 50 Years of Computing at the U of S. The University's first computer, a Royal Precision LGP-30, was purchased jointly with the National Research Council's Prairie Research Laboratory and the Saskatchewan Research Council in October of 1957.
A personal reflection by Robert N. Kavanagh, Ph.D. was commissioned to document the early years of computing. The History of Computing at the University of Saskatchewan: The First Three Decades, 1957-1987 was the result.
A timeline of important events in U of S Computing history was also developed.
Computing On the Shoulders of Giants - A 1955 pioneering initiative in data communications profiled in the Green & White Winter Issue 2006.