Campus Safety is committed to the concept that any surplus electronic media be cleaned, with a wipe utility that prevents the recovery of any data from a device, prior to being salvaged, surplused, or disposed of. The following standard has been stated:
Surplus of Computers:
- A random bit wipe, where each sector of a disk is erased and written to a minimum of three times using a compliant wipe utility (Follow the instructions below):
- Requesting Unit Submit a signed FMD Media Disposal Assurance Form.
- Contact Facilities Management 966-4700 for pick-up or drop-off information.
Disposal of Media:
- Tape or Floppy Disk – Magnetic Media Cut, Severed, Degaused or Over Written with applicable wiping utility such as DBAN.
- Hard drives – Magnetic Platters Drilled or Removed, Broken, Degaused or Over Written with applicable wiping utility such as DBAN.
- USB or Solid State Drive (SSD) – Destroy Chips Inside, or follow these Secure Erase procedures.
Please contact Tech Services at 966-4806 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.