Be aware of your surroundings.
Only carry essential cash/credit cards with you.
Be familiar with the location of all emergency phones on campus.
If you are concerned about walking on campus late at night contact Safewalk for an escort across campus.
Try to stay in well-lit, higher traffic areas.
- Always keep your purse, wallet, backpack or briefcase out of sight. Many thefts are simply thefts of opportunity.
- Keep laptop computers secured with a cable lock while at work. Never leave an unlocked laptop computer in an unattended office. When you leave work, ensure that your laptop computer either goes home with you, or that you have it securely locked away and out of sight in your office.
- Take ownership of your work area. If there are people in the halls who don’t belong, ask them who they are looking for, or if you can help them. If you are concerned, call Security Services to report suspicious persons.
- Always lock your office when you leave, even if you are only leaving for a minute.
- Security Services has stickers available for your telephone with our phone number on it. In an emergency, you will be able to contact our department without delay. Contact Campus Safety at 966-5555 for stickers that you may need.
Living in residence, either on or off campus, is a very positive way to meet people and get involved in University life. To ensure that your residence experiences are the safest they can be, we recommend the following tips:
- Never prop open doors or leave them unlocked. This gives an easy way for someone who doesn’t live in your residence access. Remember that this is your house while you are at university.
- Don’t let people that you don’t know into the residence. You live there, and if you aren’t sure that they do then you have the right to make sure the door is secured behind you. If they do live there then they will have a key or will be able to gain access at another time.
- If you see someone who does not belong in your residence take action. If you are comfortable doing so, ask the person whom they are looking for or where they are going. If you are not comfortable doing so, then contact your Resident Assistant or Campus Safety with a description of the person.
- Any suspicious person or activity can be reported to Campus Safety at 966-5555 and we will respond immediately.