A visiting research student is enrolled at the University to undertake full-time research with a faculty supervisor for a period of no more than six (6) months per 12 month period. Students may be undergraduate, graduate, or in between degree levels.
A visiting research student is not eligible to be admitted again as a visiting research student until at least 6 months after the previous VRS admission has concluded.
(a) an identified U of S faculty supervisor,
(b) a research plan that has been approved by the faculty supervisor, the department and the College of Graduate Studies and Research, and
(c) the student will not be enrolled in any credit coursework at the U of S. Upon successful completion of the research plan they will be assigned a grade of CR (Completed Requirements) or F (Fail)
The College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (CGPS) serves as the oversight organization responsible for the academic and administrative needs of VRSs. The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) serves as a central point of contact for immigration, service and support for admitted VRSs.
- The faculty supervisor will review and approve the application including the research plan
- The department head/director will approve the application after the supervisor
- CGPS Associate Dean approves last
- CGPS will issue an official letter of acceptance. The letter of acceptance will be sent to the applicant by email as a PDF attachment. The supervisor will be notified when this happens.
- ISSAC will be notified of the student's acceptance, and will provide them with immigration, pre-arrival and arrival support