Electronic Theses & Dissertations (ETD)
Submitting Your ETD to the College of Graduate Studies
Students should check on deadlines for defense, submission of theses, and application to graduate well in advance - consult the Graduate Calendar or contact their Graduate Secretary. They must also verify with the College of Graduate Studies and Research (CGSR) that all necessary forms are completed prior to the deadlines.
Candidates for Masters and Ph.D. degrees, who have successfully completed their thesis oral examination and made all the revisions and corrections required by the Examining Committee, must submit an ETD copy. A certified cheque or cash in the amount of $44 must accompany the CD ROM to pay for the cost of microfilming and shipping.
Academic units may still require bound copies of theses and students should check with their graduate supervisor. Supervisors and academic units have the option to delay publication of a thesis/dissertation for copyright or other reasons. Students can request limited access to their ETD when uploading their ETD to etd.usask.ca.
Steps of the ETD Submission Process
Prepare to defend:
- Before you begin, read the information on formatting your ETD for submission and suggested writing style pages at http://www.usask.ca/cgsr/for_students/etd.php.
In the term of your defense:
- Register in either Master's Thesis class (994) or Ph.D. Thesis class (996).
- Pay any associated fees.
- Your academic unit must contact the CGSR office to set up your defense.
- Once your defense has been set, a letter is sent to the external examiner with times and dates of defense.
- Defence paperwork is prepared by the academic unit for master’s defences. PhD defence paperwork is prepared by the CGSR and sent to the Dean’s Designate one week prior to the defence date.
- Defend your Thesis or Dissertation.
- Make the PDF file of the final revised and approved version of your thesis; for more information, please see Introduction - Converting Your Thesis to PDF Format. Also found on this page are helpful submission hints.
- Complete all paperwork given to you at your defense and bring it to the CGSR office.
- You must submit the final revised and approved version of the thesis or dissertation to the ETD site: http://etd.usask.ca/.
- For technical support for your account contact Support.eCommons@usask.ca
- The CGSR will review your thesis online to ensure completion.
- Submit to the CGSR, the form - Library and Archives Canada Theses Non-Exclusive License to Reproduce (Masters and Ph.D.).
- You will receive an email once your ETD has been submitted. Please allow 7-10 business days for your ETD to be reviewed before contacting the CGSR. If corrections are required, a CGSR Programs Advisor will send instructions to your PAWS email account. Once published, you will find your ETD on the new server eCommons.usask.ca.