Call for Applications Funding for PhD students under USASK/ UFRJ Joint Research Agreement….This program will support team-oriented research projects between the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) and the University of Saskatchewan, through six month student visits, in areas of mutual cooperation. This program is funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD) and Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE).
The funding proposal for the USask-UFRJ joint research projects highlighted the following research areas:
- Synchrotron spectroscopy and microscopy
- Materials science, including nanomaterials
- Dynamics of highly excited molecules
Graduate student research projects in these areas are encouraged, but all research areas will be considered.
- Enrolled in a PhD program at the University of Saskatchewan;
- Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant;
- Able and willing to make the six month visit commitment starting by March 2, 20145
- In good academic standing, ideally with a GPA >80%.
Timing & Deadlines
- Placements must start before March 2, 2015 for this academic year;
- Deadline for expressions of interest should be submitted by 5 PM, August 22, 2014;
- Selection will based of the student’s academic standing (GPA) and the strength and potential of the research collaboration between UFRJ and USask, which will be evaluated based on the complementarity of the student’s proposed research activities to research programs at USask and UFRJ
- Applicants will be contacted by September 15, 2014
- $9,700 CAN, for a six month visit
- DFATD/CIBE funding will support costs including: visa and/or study/work permit expenses; the most economical single round trip economy class ticket; health insurance; living allowance; and required books, supplies, and equipment, not including computers.
- Other funding may be available through your department or a Graduate Student Travel Grant.
Student Research Expression of Interest Requirements
An expression of interest letter, no more than two pages, is required. In this letter you must:
- Describe your proposed research activities at the UFRJ;
Identify any joint research project or research interests, that you are aware of, which currently exist between research groups at USask and the UFRJ.