IMPORTANT NOTICE: The College of Dentistry has requested the approval of the University of Saskatchewan to change the qualifications for admission for the 2015-2016 admissions cycle as follows:
1. To require applicants to have completed three full time (30 credit unit) years of university level course work leading to an undergraduate level degree between September and April as a condition of admission.
2. To require a 6-credit human physiology course (PHSI 208.6 or it's equivalent) as a prerequisite for admission.
3. To require a Criminal Record Check as a condition of admission.
The results of this request will be posted to the website as soon as they are available. Applicants for the 2014-2015 admission cycle will not be affected by these changes.
In order to be considered for further admission consideration applicants must have a minimum overall average of at least 70% in the required university-level pre-dentistry courses.
- University of Saskatchewan Pre-Dentistry Courses
- University of Regina Pre-Dentistry Courses
- Higher-Level Pre-Dentistry Courses
Applicants must have achieved an overall average of at least 70% in all required pre-dentistry courses completed up to the end of the first term (Fall) of the current year, but may complete any outstanding pre-dentistry requirements in the second term (Winter) of the current year.
All pre-dentistry requirements must be completed by the end of April the year in which admission is sought.
Note: applicants cannot use the required pre-dentistry courses completed in the second term of the current year to "bring up" the overall average of the pre-dentistry courses to the minimum required 70%.
Completion of pre-dentistry requirements does not guarantee admission
Examples of acceptable courses from Canadian post secondary institutions are listed on the equivalency list. Acceptable course equivalencies follow these general guidelines:
- Biology – one full year (two terms) of introductory level biology; must include labs
- General Chemistry – one half year (one term) of introductory general chemistry; must include a lab
- Organic Chemistry – one half year (one term) of introductory organic chemistry; must include a lab
- Physics – one full year (two terms) of introductory level university Physics. Acceptable topics include mechanics, wave motion and sound, heat, electricity and magnetism, light and modern physics; must include a lab. Unacceptable topics include astronomy and high fidelity.
- Social Science/Humanities – one full year (two terms) of social science/humanities course(s)
- Biochemistry, molecular – one half year course that covers molecular biology (see equivalency list (PDF) for acceptable biochemistry equivalencies from Canadian post-secondary institutions).
- Biochemistry, metabolism – one half year course that covers metabolism (see equivalency list (PDF) for acceptable biochemistry equivalencies from Canadian post-secondary institutions).
Recommended: Six credit units (full course equivalent) in human physiology. This is a recommendation, not a requirement.
Admission requirements are subject to change from year-to-year.