Certaines positions du gouvernement par rapport à Cuba
Certain General Views of the Government
- Presence of the bases for intermediate ballistic missiles on Cuba is a direct and immediate threat to the security of North America and that Canada is in a position of being directly threatened as a result.
- Our position is I think Canadians as a whole feel as does the Government that the United States has taken the necessary action.
- We now have Soviet Russia reaching out across the Atlantic to challenge the right of free men to live on this Continent.
- The United States could do no other than take action. Khrushchev can end his threat by simply discontinuing the shipment of nuclear weapons to Cuba and by removing the launching pads and such nuclear weapons as are in place.
- Canada is in a position of danger.
- We have taken immediate action –
- We have joined the United States in alerting NORAD.
- We have notified the USSR that we will not have her flying her aircraft over Canada.
- We have notified Czechoslovakia and Poland that their aircraft, if they landed, will be searched to prevent nuclear deliveries.
- We have taken necessary measures of organization and for Government should there be dire consequences if the USSR act in an aggressive manner.
- This is a question of the USSR having challenged the right of people in the Americas to live their own lives.