The Douglas Harkness Camp
Douglas Harkness served as the Minister of Defence for Prime Minister John G. Diefenbaker and was the Minister who most strongly pushed the nuclear agenda.
- The Canadian Government has a responsibility to defend its citizens as best as it can
- Without even using the weapons, Canada can discourage attacks through the deterrent effect
- Canada has made a number of commitments, in several international agreements, which can only be met by arming ourselves with the best weaponry available
- Collaboration on this issue can lead to better relations with other countries, especially the U.S.
- We have already made a significant monetary investment in technology which is only useful if we possess nuclear technologies (The Bomarc missile, S.A.G.E. tracking, aircraft to carry them)
- Since only the most powerful and advanced nations have access to this technology, it makes a powerful statement about Canada’s place in the world order if we accept it
Arguments my opponents have made My responses