Conference Program 2013
CLEARING IT OUT!
REMOVING HOMOPHOBIA FROM THE LOCKER ROOM AND BEYOND
Sponsored by the College of Education, University of Saskatchewan
Friday and Saturday, March 22 & 23, 2013
|Program and Locations:|
Guest Speaker: Jon Cornish
Friday, March 22, 2013
|Neatby-Timlin Lecture Theatre, 241 Arts
Movie, Training Rules:
Saturday, March 23, 2013
|University of Saskatchewan Campus
Edwards School of Business (Commerce)
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Parking Map for Saturday
St. Andrew’s College Chapel
- MC: Linda Walker, Huskie sports announcer
- Greetings from Dr. Ilene Busch-Vishniac, President, University of Saskatchewan
- Greetings from Avon Whittle, Director of Education, Saskatoon Public Board of Education
- Introducing Jon Cornish: Jim Hopson, Chief Executive Officer, Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Thank you by Candace Bloomquist, Quarterback, Saskatoon Valkyries
- Autograph signing after Jon’s presentation
Saturday, March 23th – 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Goodspeed Lecture Theatre, Commerce 18
Some exciting highlights from our Saturday and Sunday program:
An edgy morning panel: What would it take for high school, Huskie, and professional teams to become openly inclusive? What are the obstacles? What are the first steps in overcoming the barriers? Who should/will take them? When?
Panelists: Amy Dyck (wrestling), Jacqueline Lavallee (basketball), and Jon Cornish (professional sports).
Some of the possibilities you can choose from in our break-out sessions:
- Sheelah Maclean, and Alex Wilson, “A Teach-In: How to Encourage Queer Allies”
- Andre Grace, “Sexuality, Gender, and the State of Public Health for Sexual and Gender Minority Youth”
- Don Cochrane, “Athletes Standing Up for Sexual Minorities in Sports—A selection of powerful videos”
- Margaret Cornish, “Conversations with Margaret Cornish”
· Angela Reid, Edmonton, roller derby player for Edmonton's Oil City Derby Girls, will explore issues around coming out, sexuality, how to deal with dressing rooms with variously bodied teammates, and more!
Also, the Peter Corren Award, the Bridge City Chorus, pizza at the University Pride Centre for high school students, and more!
Saturday, March 23th – 7:30 p.m.
Movie Night: “Training Rules”
Neatby-Timlin Lecture Theatre, Arts Building, U of S
Coach Rene Portland’s three rules at Penn State: No Drinking, No Drugs, and No Lesbians.
Comment by Jill Humbert and Jacquie Lavallee (both former Huskie basketball players) and Candace Bloomquist (former player with the Creighton University NCAA basketball Bluejays). Followed by an open discussion.
Sunday, March 24th – 10:30 a.m.
Worship Service, St. Andrew's College Chapel
Join Michael Maclean, Emily Carr, and special guest Rev. Margaret Cornish for an informal worship service held for the Breaking the Silence conference.