Conference Program 2016
Sponsored by the College of Education, University of Saskatchewan
Goodspeed Lecture Theatre, Edwards School of Business (Commerce) 18,
University of Saskatchewan Campus
FRIDAY NIGHT—7:30-9:30 p.m.
“Gen Silent”—This documentary follows the lives of six LGBT seniors living in the Boston area who must choose whether or not to hide their sexuality in order to survive in the long-term health-care system.
Our Panel: Moderated by Jim Komar
- Cheryl Loadman, Senior Author of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Older Adults and Residential Care Environments – Final Report (2016) which examines the challenges faced by LGBT older adults within residential care environment within Saskatoon facilities;
- Ashley Heaslip, Family doctor in Vancouver and PhD student at UBC where she is working on a project titled ‘LGTBQ Elders and Residential Care: Experiences of Isolation and Resilience Explored through Art and Dialogue’; and
- a “Mystery Participant”
SATURDAY MORNING—9:00 a.m.—12:00 p.m.
8:30 – 9:00 a.m. Gathering Time
- Greet old friends, make new friends, browse through the Display Room (#3)
- Coffee, tea, juice, and pastries
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. Introductions and orientation to the day
“Love has no labels”—A video
9:15 – 10:00 a.m. Transitioning...Society and Ourselves! Stories from Camp Caterpillar and Beyond—Fran Forsberg and Caterpillars
10:00 – 10:30 a.m. Presentation of the 2016 Peter Corren Award
10:30 -- 11:00 a.m. Coffee, meeting time, check out the displays
11:00 -- 12:00 As part of “Good News,” Huskies Athletics will launch its “You Can Play” video!
Two sessions: 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. and 2:45 – 4:00 p.m.
Among our workshops:
- Mark Perry and Sarah Gerrard, “Starting a GSA in a rural school division”
- A Conversation with Cheryl Loadman and Ashley Heaslip
- Amanda Guthrie, “Washrooms 101: An update”
- Telling our Stories: What I have learned and what I want to learn
- “Medical transitions 101: Dr. Leane Bettin talks hormones and blockers”
- And much, much more!
4:00 – 4:30 p.m. Our Slam Poets will be back!
Closing and evaluations
5:00 p.m. High-school students are invited to the Pride Centre for pizza!