Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate Programs Department of Educational Psychology and Special Education
1. What advanced and graduate programs does EDPSE offer?
At the graduate level, EDPSE offers a Masters of Education in Educational Psychology and Special Education and a Masters of Education in School and Counselling Psychology. EDPSE also offers a Post-Degree Specialization Certificate in Special Education.
2. If my university doesn’t offer one of the prerequisite courses, are there other courses that I can take at my university that will qualify?
The U of S recognizes courses from accredited universities across Canada and Internationally. Students wanting credit for a particular course will be required to submit a copy of the calendar description and a course outline with their application This will then be evaluated by the Admissions Committee as part of the application procedure.
3. I have an undergraduate degree from a foreign university. What must I do to have this degree recognized?
Your degree and transcript will need to be evaluated by the College of Graduate Studies and Research to ensure that it meets the standards required by applicants to graduate programs at the U of S. Students from countries where English is not the official language will have to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The TOEFL score required for admission is determined by the University and is found in the U of S calendar. For information please contact the College of Graduate Studies and Research (phone: 306-966-5751)
4. What length and type of work experience is required for admission?
Applicants to the Masters of Education in School and Counselling Psychology are required to have a minimum of one, and preferably two, years employment in a human services agency. This work experience might include teaching, supervision of residents in group homes, educational assistant, work in an adolescent corrections facility, etc.
Can I take the program part time, on-line or through some other distance education option?
Online courses are now available for graduate students in the Special Education streams; however, the Master’s of Education in School and Counselling Psychology still requires two years of full time residency.
6. What does the application process involve?
The deadline for submitting applications for the graduate programs is December 15th for admission in the September of the same calendar year. The application is first considered by the department Admissions Committee; candidates who are short-listed may be interviewed in person by the committee. The Admissions Committee makes recommendations to the College of Graduate Studies and Research where final decisions are made. Typically successful applicants will be notified no later than June 15.
7. Are there scholarships or other forms of financial support for students?
The department has a limited number of scholarships, bursaries and graduate teaching fellowships available to students that are awarded on the basis of academic merit. The Graduate Teaching Fellowships (GTF) qualifies the candidate to instruct undergraduate courses in Educational Psychology and Special Education. Scholarships and GTF carry the expectation that the recipient will provide research assistance or teaching duties in the year that it is awarded.
8. What practica and internships are required? How are these assigned?
In the School and Counselling Psychology program, students complete a 400-hour, university-based practicum in Term 1 of Year 2 of the program. In Term 2 of Year 2, students complete a second 400-hour practicum with an agency providing School and/or Counselling Psychology services. Students apply to a list of approved sites and the agency makes the decision about which applicant is most appropriate for their agency. Students receive no remuneration while completing these practica.

For information please contact:
Graduate Secretary