Conference Presentations and Essays
- Sexual and Gender Diversity in Schools: An Introduction
- Letter from Beijing, Scrutiny, 1992.
- Morrison, M., Jewel, L., McCutcheon, J., and Cochrane, D. In the Face of Anti-LGBQ Behaviour: Saskatchewan High-school Students’ Perceptions of School Climate and Consequential Impact. Canadian Journal of Education 37(2), 2014, 1-29.
- Policy issues concerning sexual orientation in China, Canada, and the United States (August, 2013)
- With Jinjie Wang. "Chinese University Students' Commitment to Social Justice and Their Willingness to Confront Sexual Orientation Prejudice". In OutSpoken: Perspectives on Queer Identities. Eds. Wes D. Pearce and Jean Hillabold. Regina: University of Regina Press, 2013. Pp. 29-55.
- Building Communities in Philosophy of Education, Paideusis, Volume 19 (2010), No. 2., pp. 42-53.
- A Tribute to LeRoi Daniels: A Philosopher for All Season, Paideusis, Volume 19 (2010), No. 2., pp. 61-68.
- Bugger Off: Exploring legal, ethical, and religious aspects of sodomy
- Christian Opposition to Homosexuality
- The Vatican, Sexuality, and Homosexuality
B.A. (Honours), English and Philosophy, Queen's University, 1962
Teaching Certificate, Bishop's University, 1963
Academic Diploma, Philosophy and History of Education, Institute of Education University of London, 1966
M.A., Philosophy of Education, Institute of Education University of London,1967
Areas of specialization
Ethics and education
Education, wisdom, and nature
Gay and lesbian issues in education
Principal Courses Taught
Head, Department of Educational Foundations, 1980-86, 1991-94, 1999- June, 2005
Acting Head, Department of Educational Foundations, July-August, 1995, April-June, 1996, and September 1, 1996 to February 28, 1997
Department Graduate Studies Co-ordinator, 1996-98
Coordinator Breaking the Silence Conference, 1997-2017
- The Peter Corren Award for Outstanding Achievement, Breaking the Silence Conference, 2014.
- Prime of Life Achievement Award, Saskatchewan Retirees Association, 2014.
- The C.A.F.E. Service Award for significant contributions to the Canadian Association of Foundations of Education, May, 2007
- Saskatchewan Centennial Commemorative Award, May, 2005
- Arbos Award for Outstanding Services Rendered to the Cause of Education, Saskatchewan Teachers Federation, April 15, 2004
- Distinguished Service Award, Canadian Philosophy of Education Society, 2002
- Doug Wilson Award for significant contributions to improving the quality of life for gays and lesbians on the U of S campus, 2000
- Kuhmerker Award, Association of Moral Education, 1995
- Kirkpatrick Travel Award, University of Saskatchewan, 1982-83
- Distinguished Teacher Award, California State University Northridge, 1974
The Development of Moral Reasoning: Practical Approaches (New York:Praeger Press, 1980). (co-edited with Michael Manley-Casimir)
Philosophy of Education: Canadian Perspectives (Toronto: Collier Macmillan, 1982). (co-edited with Martin Schiralli)
So Much for the Mind: A Case Study in Provincial Curriculum Development (Toronto: Kagan and Woo, 1987). (edited)
Ethics in School Counseling (New York: Teachers College Press, 1995). (co-authored with John M. Schulte)
Major Professional Contributions
Member of the Association of Moral Education's Doctoral Award Committee, 1983-97; Chair, 1997-present
Founder and first president of the California Association of Philosophy of Education (now in its 22nd year)
Co-founder of the Saskatchewan-Manitoba Association of Foundations of Education (now in its 18th year)
Associate Editor, Moral Education Forum, 1975-95
Managing Editor, Paideusis (The Journal of the Canadian Philosophy of Education Society), 1987-99
Editor, Scrutiny: A Monthly Bulletin Devoted to Education in Saskatchewan, 1987-93
Chief Organizer, Breaking the Silence Conference, 1996-present