Associate Professor, Educational Foundations
Director, Sustainability Education Research Institute (SERI)
Project Director, Sustainability and Education Policy Network (SEPN)
Project Director, Sustainability and Education Policy Network (SEPN) (www.sepn.ca)
SERI (Lab) Office: ED 1233, (306)966-2319
Associate Member, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum Theory and Implementation, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University
- Master of Education in Studies in Teaching and Learning, Faculty of Education, Brock University
- Outdoor Leadership, Capilano College
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, University of British Columbia
Areas of Interest
- Place, environment, and sustainability
- Social justice, globalization, critical issues
- Educational policy and practice
- Youth culture and activism
- Social and cultural theory
- Participatory forms of education and research
- Digital media and education
- Methodologies and politics of research
- Canadian Foundation for Innovation, Leaders Opportunity Fund, 2012
- SSHRC Partnership Grant, 2011-2018, Principal Investigator
- SSHRC Standard Grant, 2011-2014, Principal Investigator
- Research Acceleration Grant, University of Saskatchewan, 2009, 2011
- Tri-council Bridge Funding, University of Saskatchewan, 2010, 2011
- USTEP Grant, University of Saskatchewan, 2011
- Technology Enhanced Learning Grant, University of Saskatchewan, 2010
- Global Partners II, IDRC, 2010
- John Ranton MacIntosh Research Grant, University of Saskatchewan, 2009, 2010
- SSHRC Standard Grant, 2005-2008, Principal Investigator
- President's SSHRC Fund, University of Saskatchewan. 2007, 2008, 2009
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship. 2004-2007. Theory and Policy Studies in Education, OISE/University of Toronto and Department of Educational Studies, University of British Columbia
- Supervisor to Winner of the Social Sciences Graduate Thesis Award, Vince Anderson, 2012
- Supervisor to Winner of the Social Sciences Graduate Thesis Award, David Peacock, 2010
- Nomination, Outstanding New Teacher, University of Saskatchewan, 2011, 2010
- United Nations Universities Award for Excellence in Education for Sustainable Development, for the program University of Saskatchewan Social and Ecological Justice Teacher Education Cohort, 2008
Books and Journal Special Issues
McKenzie, M. & Tuck, E. (accepted). Place in research: Theories, methodologies, methods. London: Routledge.
McKenzie, M. (accepted). Narration, place, and the social: Practices of socio-ecological education. New York: Peter Lang.
McCoy, K., Tuck, E., & McKenzie, M. (accepted). Special Issue on “Land-based Education: Indigenous, postcolonial, and decolonizing perspectives on place and environmental education research.” Volume 18, Environmental Education Research.
McKenzie, M., Hart, P., Bai, H., & Jickling, B. (Eds.). 2009. Fields of green: Restorying culture, environment, and education. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
McKenzie, M., & Greenwood, D. 2009. Special Issue on “Context, experience, and the socioecological: Inquiries into practice.” Volume 14, Canadian Journal of Environmental Education.
Selected Journal Articles and Book Chapters
McKenzie, M. (in press). Time, space, and the social: The giving and taking of accounts in the representation of youth. In A. Reid, P. Hart, & M. Peters (Eds.). Handbook on educational research. London: Springer.
Vaughter, P., Wright, T., McKenzie, M., & Lidstone, L. (2013). Greening the ivory tower: A review of research on sustainability in post-secondary education. Sustainability, 5, 2252-2271.
McKenzie, M. (2012). Education for y’all: Global neoliberalism and the case for a politics of scale in sustainability education policy. Policy Futures in Education, 10 (2), 165-177.
McKenzie, M., Butcher, K., Fruson, D., Knorr, M., Stone, J., Allan, S., Hill, T., Murphy, J., McLean, S., Anderson, V., & Kayira, J. (2012). Suited: Participatory research and relational learning (pp.487-497). In M. Brody, J. Dillon, R. B. Stevenson & A. E. J. Wals (Eds), International handbook for research on environmental education. American Educational Research Association/Lawrence Erlbaum.
McKenzie, M., Russell, C., Fawcett, L., & Timmerman, N. 2010. Popular media, intersubjective learning, and cultural production. In R. Stevenson & J. Dillon (Eds.), Environmental education: Learning, culture, and agency. Rotterdam: Sense Publications.
McKenzie, M. 2009. Scholarship as intervention: Critique, collaboration, and the research imagination. Environmental Education Research, 15(2), 217-226.
McKenzie, M. 2008. The places of pedagogy: Or, what we can do with culture through intersubjective experiences. Environmental Education Research, 14(3). Invited response article.
McKenzie, M. 2007. Social learning and resistance: Towards contingent agency. In A. Wals (Ed.), Social learning toward a more sustainable world: Principles, perspectives, and praxis, (pp. 331-349). Wageningen, The Netherlands: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
McKenzie, M. 2006. Three portraits of resistance: The (un)making of Canadian students. Canadian Journal of Education, 29(1), 199-222.
McKenzie, M. 2005. The "post-post period" and environmental education research. Environmental Education Research, 11(4), 401-412. Special issue focus article.
McKenzie, M. 2004. The "willful contradiction" of poststructural socio-ecological education. Canadian Journal of Environmental Education, 9, 177-190.
McKenzie, M. 2003. Beyond "the Outward Bound process:" Rethinking student learning. Journal of Experiential Education, 26(1), 8-23.
Selected Recent Presentations
McKenzie, M. 2013, April. The political economy of social norms: Class, mobility, agency, and achievement under neoliberalism. American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
McKenzie, M. 2013, March. Law, the environment, Treaty rights, and Idle No More. College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
McKenzie, M. 2012, April. A politics of scale in research: The ‘Youth Making Place’ project and sustainability education policy. American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Vancouver, British Columbia.
McKenzie, M. 2012, February. Walking as participatory method: ‘Ways of operating’ in youth research on sustainability. American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, New York.
McKenzie, M. 2011, June. What we can do with culture: Socio-ecological experience towards cultural change. Invited Keynote, Canadian Network for Environmental Education and Communication Conference, Regina, Saskatchewan.
McKenzie, M. 2011, May. Politics, policy, and practices of ESD. Invited Keynote, Graduate Program in Education for Sustainable Development Conference. Uppsala, Sweden.
McKenzie, M. 2011, April. When oil meets water: Anticipating our environmental future through time and space. American Education Research Association Invited Plenary Panel, New Orleans, Louisiana.
McKenzie, M. 2010, June. Politics of inhabitation: The interscaler contexts of socio-ecological learning. Theorizing Education Conference, The Stirling Institute of Education, Stirling, Scotland.
McKenzie, M., Kayira, J., & Wals, A (2009, May. ESD for all?: The paradox of global prescriptions for local development/participation. World Environmental Education Congress, Montreal, Quebec.
McKenzie, M. 2009, March. Culture as practice and the research imagination, in panel on Participation, Social Justice, and Theory. American Association of Geographers Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada.
McKenzie, M. 2008, October. Environmental Education research: To what end? Invited Opening Panelist, North American Association for Environmental Education Research Symposium, Wichita, Kansas.
McKenzie, M. 2008, June. Intersubjectivity, pedagogy, and the socio-ecological. Subjectivity: International Conference in Critical Psychology, Cultural Studies and Social Theory. Cardiff University, UK.
Academic and University Service
Editorial Board Member: Australian Journal of Environmental Education, Canadian Journal of Education, Canadian Journal of Environmental Education, Environmental Education Research, Other Education
Co-founder and Board member of the Saskatoon CarShare Co-operative, 2010-2013
Task Force, Emma Lake Kenderdine Campus, University of Saskatchewan, 2013
Chair, Environmental Education SIG, American Education Research Association, 2012-2013
Program Chair, Environmental Education SIG, American Education Research Association, 2011-2012
Conference Strand Leader, Socio-ecological Justice and Community Engagement, North American Association for Environmental Education, 2010
Co-chair of Division B Section 4, Ecological and Community Justice, American Education Research Association, 2010
Chair, Outreach and Engagement Committee, School of Environment & Sustainability, 2010-
Member, Teaching and Learning Committee, School of Environment & Sustainability, 2010-
Pedagogies of Place Course Development Team Member, College of Education, 2010-2011
Member, Core Course Design Team, College of Education, 2009-2010
Member, Teacher Education Program Renewal Course Development Committee, College of Education, 2008-2009
- EFDT 478.3 – Urban Education
- EFDT 479.3 – Land-based Education
- EFDT 335.3 – First Nations and Cross Cultural Education
- EDFT 435.3 - Educational Thought and Values: Critical Perspectives
- EFDT 870.3 – Interdisciplinary Seminar in the Foundations of Education
- EDFT 885.3 - Investigations in Culture and Environment
- ENVS 802.3 – Human Dimensions of Environmental Change
- EDRES 800.3 - Research Methods
- ENVS 898.3 - Qualitative Research Methodologies and Methods
|P. Vaughter||Postdoc||EFDT||Sustainability Education||2012-|
|K. Aikens||PhD||SENS||Sustainability Education||2013-|
|J. McRuer||PhD||EFDT||Sustainability Education||2013-|
|R. Datta||PhD||SENS||Nature/culture & Territory||2010-|
|J. Custerra||MES||SENS||Youth & Digital Media||2013-|
|H. Lake||MEd||EFDT||Place-based Education||2012-|
|J. Kayira||PhD||SENS||Indigenous Eco Education||2009-2013|
|M.Sysing||MEd||EFDT||Ecojustice as Curriculum||2009-2012|
|D.Kasun||MEd||EFDT||Ecojustice as Curriculum||2009-2012|
|S. Turkeli||MSEM||SENS||Schoolyard Gardening||2010-2011|
|C. Gupta||MSEM||SENS||Classroom Gardening||2010-2011|