Pre-internship Field Study
Role of Partner School Teachers and In-school Administrators:
Allow opportunities to learn
- For teacher candidates to engage in observation to small group facilitation to implementation of mini lesson plans to a sequence of lessons during the full-time weeks in the school in November and March/April.
Allow opportunities for broad based experience:
- Multiple grade experiences
- Multiple subject area experiences
- Invite participation in extra-curricular events and PD opportunities
Allow opportunities for teacher talk:
- can be done through PLCs - one large or several small groups of teachers and teacher candidates focused on one or more school or divisional goals related to the Learning Improvement Plan
- discuss foci for lessons and observations, written lesson plans with before the teaching takes place to ensure the plan fits with your classroom learning goals (post-instruction discussions can include written suggestions for the teacher candidate).
- encourage "Learning Focused Supervision"
- support teacher candidates in carrying out peer coaching and team teaching (with each other and with you)
Assist teacher candidates in gathering evidence for their Professional Growth Portfolio (PGP)
- Please provide formal written feedback for some lessons taught by the teacher candidate
- allow opportunities for teacher candidates to complete
assignments connected to on-campus course work
Complete Field Experience Assessment forms with teacher candidates at the end of term 1 and term 2.
- Use the teacher candidates' PGP for this
- Can be done collaboratively by several teachers and in-school administrators
For additional information contact:
College of Education
28 Campus Drive
University of Saskatchewan