Faculty & Staff Technology FAQ
All Faculty, Staff and Students at the University of Saskatchewan can install Sophos Anti-Virus on their computer at no cost. Installation instructions can be found here. Note that for Faculty and Staff office computers, Sophos should already be installed. The Sophos icon is located in the corner of the screen – bottom right for Windows machines, top right for Mac machines.
If it isn’t installed, or isn’t updating properly, please email email@example.com
The College of Education as well as EMAP have media carts for educational use.
Many classrooms have built-in media consoles. You may not need a media cart.
Most rooms in the College of Education are booked through the U of S Room Scheduling Office, with the exception of those listed below:
College of Education Room Booking
|Educ 8||capacity 8||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 1255||capacity 8||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 2001||capacity 24||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 2015||capacity 14||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 3024||capacity 8||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 3041||capacity 16||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 3058||capacity 8||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 3122||capacity 12||email to book||966-7635|
One-time Computer Classroom bookings
|Educ 1037 (main floor)||26 stations - Windows XP||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 3126 (third floor)||13 stations - Windows XP||email to book||966-7635|
|Educ 3134 (third floor)||26 Stations - Macintosh||email to book||966-7635|
|More information on Computer Classrooms 1037, 3126 and 3134|
If you are having problems with classroom technology, please contact EMAP technical support (306) 966-4263
If you are having problems with a media cart:
- Booked through EMAP? Contact: (306) 966-4263
- Booked through College of Education? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The E-Learning Commons (EDUC 3139) exists to provide College of Education faculty, graduate students and staff with the opportunity to collaborate and/or use software that is not readily available elswhere in the College.
To use a computer in the E-Learning Commons, login using your NSID and Password.
EMAP offers a variety of Media and Production Services.
- Areas of service include Video, Audio, Databases, Distributed and Distance Learning, Evants, Training, Website Design, Video Conferencing, Photography, Educational Equipment Rental, Sales and Installation. See full list of EMAP Services
- EMAP also offers Solution Packages
- Event Coordinator
- Website Manager
- Promotional Branding Toolkit
- Research Assistance
- Professional Development Facilitation
- Classroom Teaching Toolkit
- EMAP Contact Info
Contact the ICT Help Desk:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 306-966-4817 or 1-800-966-4817 (Toll Free in Canada)
- Chat Available Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm.
- Submit Help Form
- Anti-virus software
- File Storage – Folder and Cabinet
- Laptops and Mobile Devices
- Mailing Lists
- Network Services ID (NSID)
- UofS Network (Wired, Wireless, VPN)
Detailed Description of Help Desk Services and what services they do and do not provide.
Over time, your laptop may start to behave oddly or slower than usual. ISS provides a laptop clinic service for Education Faculty, Staff and Grad Students. Make an appointment, drop off your laptop, and we’ll install any necessary updates, perform routine maintenance, remove any unnecessary programs or malware, and have your machine ready to go as soon as possible. In most cases, you’ll have your laptop back the same day you drop it off.
To arrange for a laptop clinic, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The College of Education Display Screen is used to display information of interest to Students, Faculty and Staff.
Submit the poster and any original images, such as photos, that you have to email@example.com.
Even with Sophos installed, some malicious programs may still end up on your computer. If your computer ends up infected, there are free tools available that you can use yourself to remove most of these programs. One of the most effective and easy to use programs is MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Simply download and install the program from here, run it and select Scan. The program will guide you through the rest of the process.
If you suspect your computer is infected with malware, and aren’t comfortable trying to remove it yourself, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The E-Learning Commons (Room 3139) has both black and white and colour printers.
The black and white printer is called ‘payperprint’ and the colour printer is called ‘peacock.’
These printers use the Campus Print Accounting System (CPAS), which all Faculty, Staff and Students have accounts on. Prior to printing, you will need to ensure your CPAS account has sufficient funds for the print job. Faculty and Staff can add funds by contacting their department secretary, or at the Education Library. Students can add funds at the Education Library.
To access the printers, you can either log in to one of the computers in the E-Learning Commons, or you can configure your office computer or laptop to connect to the printers directly.
How to Connect to the Printers in the E-Learning Commons
- Click Start, then Run. (Or hold down the Windows key, and press ‘R’)
- For the black and white printer, enter \\printspool\payperprint and click OK.
For the colour printer, enter \\printspool\peacock and click OK.
- If prompted for a username and password, enter your NSID and password. You need to include ‘USASK\’ with your username, i.e. USASK\abc123. Click OK.
- If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you may be prompted to install a driver for the printer. Click ‘Install.’
Instructions located here.
|If you are…||Use this Xerox…|
|Dean’s Office Staff||Room 3046|
|Program’s Office Staff||Room 3350|
|ECUR Faculty/Staff||Room 3020|
|All others||Hallway across from Room 3137|
XEROX NetScan Instructions
- If scanning a single sheet, put it in the Xerox. If scanning multiple sheets, put them in the document feeder.
- Touch 'Cancel' (if the Xerox is showing the code entry screen)
- Touch 'Network Scanning'
- If a message appears regarding "a partial list of scanning templates", Touch 'Close'
- Find your NSID in the list on the left, and select it.
- Press the Start button.
On your computer, the file will appear in the NetScan folder as a PDF.
If there is no NetScan folder on the desktop, you can create one yourself by following these steps:
- Right Click on your desktop
- Choose New->Shortcut
- Enter this as the location: \\jade\Education\NetScan
- Click Next
- Click Finish
(Note: on some computers you may need to enter your NSID and password to make this connection – when entering your NSID, it must be preceded by “USASK\” - without the quotes…i.e. USASK\abc123)
- Under the ‘Go’ menu, choose ‘Connect to Server’
- Enter this as the server: smb://jade.usask.ca/Education/NetScan
- Click Connect
- The username and password prompt will appear – enter your NSID and password (not your Mac username and password)
If you need to then insert images from the PDF into Word or PowerPoint, you can follow the instructions located here (you can skip Step One as your computer should already have Adobe Reader installed):
If you have a Mac, you should be able to use the Insert Image from File tool in Word or Powerpoint and select the PDF file.
If you have a Blackberry, you can set it up to access your USASK e-mail account. Go to the Blackberry site and enter your Blackberry Username and password. For SaskTel users, your Username is usually firstname.lastname (i.e. bryce.taylor). If you don’t know your Blackberry password, you can use the ‘Forgot Password’ link on Blackberry’s site and have the password sent to your device.
Once you’ve logged in, enter your USASK e-mail address and password and click Next. Wait a few seconds, and then once the screen refreshes, click ‘Enter additional information’. For mail server, enter ‘mail.usask.ca’ and for account name, enter your NSID. Then click Next. Your USASK e-mail should start arriving on your Blackberry within the next 20 minutes.
If you have trouble configuring your device for USASK e-mail, please email email@example.com.
Submit New or Updated Information for College of Education website.
- Send instructions and materials for web updates to educ.web@ usask.ca
- If you are updating an existing web page, please include the URL of the page to be updated.
If you have questions about the College of Education Website please email educ.web@ usask.ca.
Can't find what you need on this page? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for help.