University of Saskatchewan

Financial Services (FS)

Temporary Imports of General Goods

If goods are entering Canada on a temporary basis, the shipment may quality for duty-free entry and full or partial relief of GST.  If qualified, the goods will enter on a Temporary Importation Bond (TIB).  Most TIB's are related to equipment on loan however, there are also other conditions by which a TIB may be applicable.

The following procedures apply for a TIB:

  1. Forward a completed TIB form to Purchasing Services with details of the equipment to be temporarily imported
  2. Purchasing Services will contact Risk Management & Insurance Services to determine insurance coverage and assess risk and liability.  They will need to know the responsible party for coverage of damage to the equipment itself, and who assumes liability for injury as a result of using the equipment.
  3. All equipment must meet Saskatchewan electrical standards (see Electrical Equipment Certification form).  Workplace Safety & Environmental Protection (WSEP) may need to be informed of other issues to ensure the equipment meets university requirements while being used on campus.
  4. If the goods do not qualify as a TIB, all applicable duties and taxes will be assessed on the full value of the goods, and the shipment will enter Canada as a regular import.  However, if all requirements are met, you will be advised that goods qualify as a TIB.  You will be required to complete an on-line purchase requisition so that a purchase order (PO) can be issued.  This is required for customs and university insurance purposes, and to cover freight and brokerage charges.
  5. You will be contacted prior to the expiration date of the TIB to confirm that the goods will be returned to the Supplier or lending institute.
  6. The university customs broker - Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd., must be notified of the planned date of export prior to the return of the goods.  Failure to do so may result in the payment of GST and applicable duty on the total value of the temporary import.  The goods must be exported prior to the expiry date of the temporary entry (maximum of 18 months) or a request for extension must be submitted to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) through Purchasing Services.
  7. In the event that the goods are purchased, a memo should be sent to Purchasing Services to request an amendment of the customs entry and to initiate the appropriate changes to the purchase order.  All applicable duties and taxes will need to be paid on the full value of the goods.


OnlinePrintDocument Name
Electrical Equipment Certification Information
Electrical Equipment Certification Form
Temporary Importation Bond (TIB) Information Form - General

Key Links

Contacts for further information:

University of Saskatchewan
Purchasing Services
Gord DeClerq
Tel:  (306) 966-6713
Fax:  (306) 966-8342

Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd.
Fely Jamieson
Tel: 1-866-778-4460 ext. 5497