University of Saskatchewan

Financial Services (FS)

Feb 28, 2013

Non-Consumptive Alcohol - Inventory Control Sheet now available

In accordance with The Alcohol and Gaming Regulation Act, 1997, The Alcohol Control Regulations, 2002 and with Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority, a copy of the non-consumptive alcohol permit along with a non-consumptive alcohol inventory control sheet must be posted in ALL areas where the alcohol is used.

The following are procedures implemented by the Canada Revenue Agency Excise Duty Office and the University of Saskatchewan:

  1. All purchases of alcohol must be purchased through the use of Purchase Orders (NOT the Procurement Card).
  2. The alcohol is to be kept in locked storage rooms with restricted access to the alcohol (storekeepers and personnel in the labs).   All alcohol must be labeled “Not for human consumption – for educational / scientific research purposes only”.
  3. A record of the alcohol being disbursed is to be kept using the inventory control sheet and any applicable requisition forms.  The completed forms must be sent Purchasing Services when the container is empty. Prior to sending the inventory control sheet to Purchasing Services, units must ensure the total quantity shown on the inventory control sheet equals the total quantity purchased.  Non consumptive alcohol inventory control sheets are available on FSD’s website on the Regulatory Requirements page.
  4. Method of disposal – All waste ethanol or ethanol mixtures must be disposed of through the University of Saskatchewan’s Waste Management Facility.  Waste ethanol must be denatured to make it unfit for human consumption.  For unused ethanol or ethanol that has not been mixed with any other solvents, this can be accomplished by mixing it with a solvent such as methanol or benzene (minimum 10% by volume).  For mixtures of solvents that contain ethanol, this can be disposed of “as is” if the non-ethanol component is a minimum of 10% by volume (any water content must be excluded from the 10% minimum).  For additional assistance, please contact the Chemical Safety and Environmental Protection Manager at 966-8512.

Please forward this information to others in your area who should be made aware of the above.

Please keep in mind that it is very important to maintain these controls and strict records for audit purposes.  Your assistance and cooperation in doing this is appreciated.