Guidelines & Procedures
Property Used Off Campus
(The Board of Governors approved policy can be found at http://www.usask.ca/university_secretary/policies/operations/4_03.php )
On occasion, because of off-campus University work or research requirements
, the University's interests may be best served by having University equipment located away from campus. It is incumbent upon the University to maintain internal control procedures to safeguard the assets of the University. Part of the safeguarding of assets includes ensuring that the University is aware of the location of its property. The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance regarding property used off campus.
Use of Equipment
- The equipment must be used for professional, teaching and / or research activities of the University of Saskatchewan.
- Any personal use of the equipment must be incidental. In certain circumstances, CCRA will accept not assessing a personal benefit where the personal portion is incidental (generally means it is less than 10%).
- If the actual use is different from that claimed, any resulting personal benefit for income tax purposes will be a matter between the individual and Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.
Maintenance & Care of the Property
- The individual who, under this arrangement, has assumed custody of University equipment that is included under a regular maintenance contract must agree to make the equipment available for normal servicing, repair and maintenance.
Change in Location
- Financial Services Division must be notified of any change in location of University property. This will ensure the University is able to maintain the correct location of assets recorded in the University's fixed asset system.
Return of Property
- The Dean, Department Head, or Director may request property to be returned to campus at anytime and the faculty/staff member shall return the property immediately.
- Upon retirement or termination of the faculty/staff member, the property belonging to the University must be returned.
- The Dean, Department Head or Director's approval must be obtained prior to property owned by the University being removed from campus.
- Approval indicates agreement that the use of the equipment will be for professional, teaching and / or research activities of the University.
- Declaration of Property Used Off-Campus form must be completed and properly authorized.
For additional assistance please contact:
Financial Analyst, Controller's Office
|Declaration of Property Used Off-Campus||