Shipping to Canada - Instructions For Purchase Orders
The following information is required for Canada Customs compliance purposes and MUST be included with ALL shipments:
The following statements may apply to this order - review carefully and follow the applicable instructions:
- A Commercial Invoice or a Canada Customs Invoice containing all pertinent information.
- The University of Saskatchewan purchase order number and contact information including the individual's name, phone number department name and address, plus the name of the University of Saskatchewan's customs broker - Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd. (this information must be included on all documents).
- The actual value of goods (excluding shipping/freight charges) and currency of settlement, e.g. U.S. funds, Canadian funds, etc. If "no charge" samples or "free goods" are being sent, the actual replacement value of the sample or fair market value must be indicated. Stating a nominal value or "no commercial value" is NOT acceptable.
- The Country of Origin - the country where the goods were manufactured, NOT where the goods are being shipped from.
- The full and complete description of the shipment contents. Please note that indicating a part number or "printed matter" is NOT adequate.
- A NAFTA Certificate of Origin (if applicable) to reduce duty assessment.
- 100% accuracy is essential on all documentation to meet customs compliance requirements.
- Fax a Commercial Invoice or Canada Customs Invoice and waybill number to the University of Saskatchewan's Customs Broker - Thompson, Ahern & Company, Ltd. Fax: (905) 677-3464 / Tel: (905)677-3471.
- Include a NAFTA Certificate of Origin for qualified goods of U.S., Mexican or Puerto Rican origin.
- If perishable or dry ice shipments, do not ship after Tuesday.
- For products covered under WHMIS (shipments of animal origin, serums, chemicals, biologicals, hazardous goods, large quantities of cleaning supplies), 2 copies of MSDS are required which are identified with the PO number.
- Electrical equipment must be certified for use in Saskatchewan by one or more of its recognized testing agencies. If not, please review the Electrical Equipment Certification Information and download the Electrical Equipment Certification form. Please complete and return for shipping approval.
Please refer to: http://www.usask.ca/fsd/suppliers/regulatory_requirements/index.php
- For shipments from countries other than the USA: Shipments containing wood packaging materials non-compliant with Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) requirements will be returned to place of origin.
- If the goods are exempt from the Automated Export System (AES), please quote the following Canadian exemption code NOEEI 30.36 on your shipping documents (i.e. bill of lading). Refer to the U.S. Census Bureau for additional information.
Potential Canada Customs clearance problems can be avoided by following the instructions above. Failure to do so may result in border delays, seizure of goods, monetary fines and/or destroyed shipments. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Contacts for further information: