This non-credit course will provide instructors with information and ideas for teaching online, whether the intention is to teach a course exclusively online, or simply to incorporate online components. Experience teaching online is not required. Introduction to Teaching Online is offered entirely online through Blackboard. As a participant you will experience what it is like to learn online which will help you become familiar with the environment your students will encounter in their online learning.
The next offering of Introduction to Teaching Online will begin on September 21, 2015.
Topics covered will include:
- An overview of online learning including benefits and challenges for instructors and students.
- The importance of community in online environments
- Best practices in facilitating online discussions
- Articulating course expectations through the use of the syllabus and rubrics
- Handling communication with students in a virtual classroom
- Basic information on the technical side of teaching using Blackboard
Participants will be required to:
- Actively participate by posting to the discussion boards on the assigned topics on a weekly basis.
- Complete readings and watch included videos to enable them to make thoughtful posts and provide constructive feedback on the discussion boards
- Participate in one scheduled class meeting using the online communication tool Blackboard Collaborate
The textbook for this course is: TBA