What do I need to consider when teaching a Large Class?
- Large Class Dynamics: This page discusses the difference between a small and a large class, and how you can approach your large class in an effective way.
Teaching Large Classes: Differences between Large and Small Classes
- Getting Students Actively Involved: How to get students engaged and participating in a large class.
Generating Student Participation
- Energizing the Large Lecture: Strategies to help you communicate your interest and passion for your topic and generate enthusiasm in your students.
- Ways to Learn Students’ Names in Large Classes: Some tips about how to remember students' names in a large class.
Learning Students' Names
- Bean, J.C. 1996. Engaging Ideas: The Professor’s Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. Available at the Education Library, PE1404.B35 1996.
- Benjamin, L.T. Jr. 1991. Personalization and Active Learning in the Large Introductory Psychology Class. Teaching of Psychology, 18: 68-74.
- Bostian, L.R. 1983. Even in Classes of 100 to 150, Personalization is Possible. Journalism Educator, 38(2), 8-10.
- Brigham Young University Faculty Center. Engaging Students in the Large Class. Videocassette. Available at The Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness.
- Carbone, E. 1998. Teaching Large Classes: Tools and Strategies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Available at the Education Library, LB2331.C2736 1998.
- Carbone, E. 1999. Students Behaving Badly in Large Classes. In New Directions for Teaching and Learning, #72. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Gedalof, A.J. 2006.Teaching Large Classes. Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Green Guide No 1. London, ON: University of Western Ontario. Available at The Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness.
- Kloss, R. J., 1987. Coaching and playing right field: Trying on metaphors for Teaching, Collge Teaching, 35(4): 134-139e
- Nilson, L.B. 1998. Teaching At Its Best: A Research-Based Resource for College Instructors. Bolton, MA: Anker Publishing. Available at The Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness.
- Slater, T.F., Prather, E.E., and Zelik, M. 2006. Strategies for Engagement in Large Lecture Science Survey Classes. In Handbook of College Science Teaching (pp. 45-53). Edited by J.J. Mintzes and W.H. Leonard. Arlington, VA: National Science Teachers Association.
- Stanley, C.A. and Porter, M.E. 2002. Engaging Large Classes: Strategies and Techniques for College Faculty. Bolton, MA: Anker. Available at The Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness. LB3013.2. E54 2002.
- Weimer, M.E. 1987. Teaching Large Classes Well. In New Directions for Teaching and Learning, Volume 32. Edited by K.E. Eble. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. Available at the Education Library, LB2331.N49 no.32 1987.