College Building Renamed
To honour outgoing U of S President According to U of S Historian Bill Peter Mackinnon (LLM’76), the university Waiser (MA’76, PhD’83, DLet’10), once renamed the historic College Building to classes began on campus in 1912, the Peter MacKinnon Building.
The university’s Board of Governors approved the name change at the May 2012 meeting. Federal approval was also confirmed to allow the U of S to officially change the name of a building that was deemed a National Historic Site in 2001.
Built between 1910 and 1912, the Agriculture Building (as it was then known) was designed by architectural firm Brown and Valance in collegiate gothic style. The importance of this first building was recognized when Prime Minister Wilfrid Laurier took a break from his political tour of Saskatchewan during the summer of 1910 to lay the building cornerstone on July 29.
According to U of S Historian Bill Waiser (MA’76, PhD’83, DLet’10), once classes began on campus in 1912, the Agriculture Building quickly became the hub of a succession of activities and purposes—from milk-testing to extension meetings in Convocation Hall to the basement gymnasium to biology labs to the university library to the first home of the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra to the College of Education to the Department of Art and Art History.
In time, though, the building gradually became the administrative centre of the university. In fact, during the mid–1970s, thousands of students patiently lined up on the well-worn steps to register in what was then known as the Administration Building.
Visitors to Nobel Plaza, just outside the west doors of the Peter MacKinnon Building, might have done a double-take this summer as they saw a piano with strings stretching up to the top of the building. The piano, played by the wind, was part of Gordon Monahan’s Seeing Sound exhibit—a retrospective exhibition of sound art, performance and music.
The exhibition, which ran from May 25 through September 22, looked at 30 years of Monahan’s work for piano, loudspeakers, video, kinetic sculpture and computer- controlled sound environments. The artist’s works juxtaposed aspects of natural acoustical phenomena with elements of technology, environment, architecture, popular culture and live performance.
Visit art.usask.ca to learn more about current and upcoming exhibits at the U of S
Knowledge Keepers Exhibit
To mark the work of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) in Saskatchewan, the University Library at the University of Saskatchewan has mounted a multi-part exhibition entitled Knowledge Keepers: Authorship – Artistry – Archives. The exhibit is located in the Link Gallery on the first floor of the Murray Building.
Co-ordinated by the University Library and featuring many published materials held by the library, the exhibit also includes unpublished materials from the holdings of the University Archives.
The exhibition continues until December 18.
More information can be found at http://library.usask.ca/spcoll/Exhibitions.php
Photo by David Bindle
All four undergraduate residence buildings in the College Quarter area—east of Cumberland Avenue, south of College Drive—are now open and accommodating up to 800 students.
According to Martin Gonzalez De Souza, acting director of Consumer Services, the addition of the four College Quarter residences means the university can house about 12 per cent of its student body in residence, almost double the percentage of just two years ago.
Graduate House, a residence for graduate students, is still under construction.
Photo by Liam Richards
Google Street View on Campus
Many photographs have been taken of the picturesque University of Saskatchewan over the years, but never quite like this. Google’s Street View team drove their specially equipped car and trike—with an array of cameras on top that capture a 360 degree view—through the roads and pathways of campus August 20 and 21. It will be another six to 12 months of processing before the U of S maps will be available for viewing on Google Maps.
Photo by Kris Foster
Stanley Visits Rutherford
t wasn’t the first time Brent McEwen (BSPE’83) entered Rutherford Rink, but it was the first time he did so carrying the Stanley Cup.
McEwan, who works with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings as a scout in Western Canada, brought the cup to the U of S rink on August 14. He played for the Huskies while studying at the U of S and went on to coach the team for nine years from 1984 to 1993. He then spent some time coaching in Europe before coming back home to Saskatoon as general manager for the WHL’s Saskatoon Blades from 1997–2004.
Source: Huskie News
Photo by Josh Schaefer/Huskie Athletics
Sounds of a Powwow
A crowd surrounded the Bowl, the heart of the campus, on May 30 when the U of S hosted the 2012 Graduation Powwow.
From morning to night, the sounds of the powwow—traditional drumming, singing and the rhythmic sound that the beadwork and sequins on the traditional regalia make during dancing—echoed throughout the campus. For centuries, powwows have used song and dance to facilitate prayer and thanksgiving within Aboriginal cultures, making them a perfect setting to celebrate graduates’ achievements.
his was the third annual Graduation Powwow, but the university has hosted an annual powwow for close to 20 years. In 2009, that event, held in the fall to welcome students to campus, was moved to the spring to celebrate student graduation.
This year’s powwow featured two grand entries, one honouring graduating high school students in Saskatchewan and the other to honour U of S graduates. A number of youth and adult competitions in singing, dancing and hand drumming were held during the day’s festivities.
Photo by David Stobbe
Unless otherwise noted, news items are drawn from recent editions of On Campus News, the official newspaper of the University of Saskatchewan.Visit news.usask.ca for up-to-date U of S news and photo galleries.