Hiring options: Solutions and Opportunities through hiring
When you are hiring administrative and support staff you have a number of position types from which to choose. Before you initiate the recruitment process, consider the following staffing options that are available to you:
- Full-time or part-time, permanent, seasonal, term or casual.
- Support (such as clerical, technical and trades) positions within scope of CUPE 1975 and Administrative and Professional positions within scope of the Administrative and Professional Association (ASPA)
- See ASPA Article 3.4 and CUPE 1975 Article 1.4 for definitions of types of employees
- Student appointments (to be developed)
Hiring Casual/Short-Term Staff
You may wish to staff your position on a short-term basis until you determine the most appropriate staffing and selection options and strategies. Short-term positions of less than 4 months within CUPE 1975 and ASPA, and positions of less than half-time within ASPA, may be filled without posting. Human Resources maintains a “Casual File” containing names and resumes of qualified support staff if you have an immediate short term need to fill vacancies, sick leave replacements, etc.
Section 2.2 provides more detailed information on specific hiring procedures for employees affiliated with CUPE Local 1975, the clerical, trades and technical support union, ASPA, the Administrative and Professional group, and the Exempt staff.
Positions within scope of ASPA
- Recruitment into declared vacancies within scope of ASPA is governed by Article 7 of the ASPA Collective Agreement.
Positions within scope of CUPE 1975
- Recruitment into declared vacancies within scope of the CUPE 1975 bargaining unit is governed by Article 8.1 and 8.2 of the CUPE 1975 Collective Agreement.
Secondments – (to be developed)
Contracts – (to be developed)
University of Saskatchewan
E140 Administration Building
105 Administration Place
Phone: (306) 966-6270
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Monday - Friday
Site © University of Saskatchewan
Send suggestions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org