Blackboard Website: Student Performance and Retention
There are several ways to monitor student performance in Blackboard. Certain tools are available to instructors at the U of S. Some of these tools may be found under the Control Panel > Evaluation. This page outlines Course Reports, The Retention Centre, and The Performance Dashboard.
The other is using the retention centre found in the Global Navigation area (select your login name top right of screen). The rentention centre is available to instructors only (turn this feature on or off using the double vertical arrows) (see Retention Centre)
Blackboard Website: Course Reports
Course reports of various types may be generated at any time (Control Panel > Evaluation > Course Reports) to display statistics and usage of a particular area in the course. Reports which may be generated include:
- All User Activity Inside Content Areas - Displays which students are active in your course and which content material they have accessed.
- Course Activity Overview - Shows overall activity in the course, by student and date. Displays time (total and average) spent per user. Shows how much overall time a student has spent in the course.
- Course Performance - Shows how a single Blackboard Learn Course performs against as selected set of goals.
- Overall Summary of User Activity - Displays user activity for all areas of the course, as well as activity dates, times and days of the week.
- Single Course User Participation Report - Displays detailed statistics on assessment and collaboration tool submissions for all users in this course during a specified timeframe
- Student Overview for Single Course -Displays an individual student's activity within a course, sorted by date. Data includes the total overall time the student spent in the course as well as detailed information about the student's activity, such as which items and Content Areas the student accessed and the time spent on each.
- User Activity in Forums - Displays a summary of user activity in Discussion Board Forums
- User Activity in Groups - Shows a summary of user activity in groups for the course.
"The Retention Center provides an easy way for you to discover which students in your course are at risk. Based on preconfigured rules and rules you create, students’ engagement and participation are visually displayed, quickly alerting you to potential risk. From the Retention Center, you can communicate with struggling students and help them take immediate action for improvement.
You can begin using the Retention Center features immediately—no setup required.
The Retention Center replaces the Early Warning System feature with easy workflows, while retaining all existing Early Warning System data and rules."