Remote Access to Software (Virtual Computer Lab)
Virtual Computer Lab (vlab.usask.ca) enables students and faculty to access applications from their personal laptop, computer or portable device (e.g. iPad) from home or on campus. This means that you don't always have to go to a computer lab to use some applications.
The application software is run on the server and only the keyboard, mouse and video is transmitted over the network. Access to the U of S Virtual Computer Lab (vlab.usask.ca) is provided by going to https://vlab.usask.ca in a web broswer and logging in using your NSID username and password.
- You must have a valid U of S NSID username and password.
Currently we have the following applications:
- ArcGIS - geographical information systems (Mapping)
- Mathematica - symbolic and numeric math package
- MATLAB - numerical mathematics package
- NVIVO - qualitative statistical package
- OpenOffice - productivity software (Word Processor, spreadsheet, drawing, database)
- PHREEQC - geochemical modelling package
- R - The R Project for Statistical Computing, including RStudio
- SPSS - statistical package for the social sciences (
- Stata - Statistics Package
- Internet Explorer
Note: Audio is not available on the Virtual Computer Lab.
If there is other software you would like to see on the service, please contact the ICT Service Desk with your suggestions. We will continue to add new applications as we can; however, not all applications will work in a terminal service environment and some licensing prohibits such use.
1. Open a web browser on your computer and goto:
2. Login using your NSID and password.
3. Open the app you want to use.
4. Files can be opened from and saved to your Cabinet network share.
Please feel free to contact the ICT Service Desk with any questions or feedback you might have.