With remote response devices called Clickers, even your largest classes can hold opportunities for individual participation and interaction. You can use them for in-class quizzes or quick, anonymous polls to measure general understanding of topics.
Your classes may include the use of clickers as tools for instant feedback. The U of S clicker system uses Turning Technology clickers and ResponseWare software applications.
Taking a class?
If your instructor uses clickers, you’ll need to:
- Buy a Clicker or Clicker App Check with all your instructors before purchasing your clicker or clicker app. You can have only one but you can use it in multiple classes.
- You can buy clickers and clicker applications from the Campus Computer Store (Refurbished clickers are also sometimes available)
- You can also buy clickers from students who no longer need them. Be sure the student de-registers the clicker so you can register it in your name;
see Remove Your Clicker Registration.
- Register Your Clicker or Clicker App
- You will need to register your clicker or clicker application to link it to your name and NSID.
- Only one clicker or clicker app can be registered to you at any time.
- Register Your Clicker or Clicker App - Instructions
- Learn to Use Your Clicker or Clicker App
- See the Clicker Info for Students sections under Learn More.
Teaching a class?
If you wish to use clickers in the classroom, you’ll need to
- Learn How to Use Clickers in Your Class
- Before asking students to buy clickers, review the information here and in Learn More, and see the Support section for training possibilities. You may also want to test them out; if you’d like to borrow clickers and receivers from ICT: email email@example.com.
- Download Clicker Management Software
- Locate Receivers and Channel Numbers
- To use clickers in your classroom, you will need a clicker receiver attached to a computer or media console. You will also need to tell your students what channel and session ID to use.
- To see if your classroom is equipped with a receiver and media console or to check channel information, see the list of Clicker-Equipped Classrooms with Channel Numbers and Session IDs.
- If your classroom is not equipped with a receiver, you can use a portable receiver with your laptop or other computer. Portable receivers are available from the Campus Computer Store. These allow you to choose a channel and set your own session ID.
Clicker Info for Instructors
- Tips for Using Clickers in the Classroom
- Clicker Polling & Results Management
- How to View Clicker IDs in U of S Course Tools - Grade Centre
- Manuals and Other Resources for Instructors
Clicker Info for Students
General Support Info
- Follow the U of S Clickers blog for helpful, up-to-date information about using clickers at the U of S.
- Contact the ICT Service Desk for general and U of S-specific clicker support such as clicker registration help.
- Turning Technologies Canada Technical Support (No U of S-specific support)
- Teaching with Clickers – The Student Response System
- Check Training Services’ Current Offering List to see if this course will be scheduled in the near future.
- Contact Training Services to learn more about available courses or to request customized training.
Support for Instructors
- Immediate Technical Support for Instructors
Call 4263 (EMAP) for immediate assistance or to report problems with a receiver in your classroom’s media console.
- General support for Instructors
If you are interested in incorporating clickers into your class and would like more information, please contact:
Academic Support, Client Services, ICT
Unable to Register Clicker
If you have a problem with clicker registration contact the ICT Service Desk or your college IT support staff.
Clicker Technical Difficulties
If you suspect the clicker is not working, contact the ICT Service Desk. The ICT Service Desk can test your clicker and determine if it is working properly.
For warranty work, batteries, or a replacement clicker, visit the Campus Computer Store.
- Instructors, staff, students
- Students: Clicker device or Clicker application (Check with instructor before purchasing)
- Instructors: Clicker receiver or receiver-equipped classroom
- New clickers: approx. $45-55
- Clicker apps: approx. $25-55
- More info at Campus Computer Store - Clickers