VPN (Virtual Private Network)
You will need to use a VPN to access restricted campus resources from off-campus. The VPN software provides the same level of access as a computer anywhere on campus.
Using the VPN
In order to use the VPN, you will need to:
- Have a valid NSID and password.
- Download and install the U of S VPN client software based on your operating system.
- Connect to the U of S VPN service, tunnel.usask.ca, using your NSID and password.
VPN software downloads available:
- Anyconnect Client (32bit and 64bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8)
- iPad, iPhone, iPod (iOS 4.2 and higher)
- Anyconnect for Apple OS 10.6-10.10 (*Intel Only)
- Anyconnect for Apple OS 10.2-10.5 (*PowerPC only)
- Anyconnect for Apple OS 10.4-10.5 (*Intel Only)
The VPN software provides the same level of access as a computer anywhere on campus. If you could NOT access your files from other computers on campus then you will not be able to use the VPN.
Firewalls and VPN
The combination of VPN and a firewall will help increase the security of your computer, however firewalls may interfere with use of the VPN.
Configure your firewalls to work with VPN:
- Other software firewalls (Zone Alarm, Kerio Personal Firewall, etc.)
With these, you will need to allow connections to tunnel.usask.ca, and to 126.96.36.199/255.255.0.0 (or particular subnets of interest). Consult your firewall's documentation on how to do this.
- Hardware firewalls
Very often physical devices are used to control access. These are sold as home routers and contain firewall and network address translation features. These devices will have to be configured to allow traffic to go to tunnel.usask.ca unchanged.
If you run IPSec on your router, you will need to turn that off.
You will need to enable access to port 10000 on tunnel.usask.ca.
General Support information
If you require assistance setting up your VPN please contact your local college IT support staff. If you do not have local IT support staff please contact the ICT Service Desk.
- Students, instructors, researchers, employees
- Valid NSID