You have the choice to access three wireless network services at the U of S: an internal network service, a guest/conference network service, and a public service.
There are three wireless network service options:
Full access to the university network resources is available to students, employees, researchers and faculty.
This service is a fully encrypted end-to-end wireless solution and should be your first choice when possible.
Before you can access the network, you will need to configure your laptop or devices. Wireless set-up guides are available for Windows (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista), Macintosh (OS 10.7-10.10, OS 10.5-10.6, OS 10.4), Linux and Mobile operating systems (Android 4.x, Samsung Galaxy S3/S4, iOS 7, Windows Phone 8, Blackberry Devices).
uofs-guest: Individual Guest
Access to the university network resources is available to invited guests who have been provided with an individual guest ID specific for their use. Employees can grant invited guests individual access to the wireless network from the Wireless Guest Access channel in PAWS.
Individual guests will be provided with credentials to use to access the wireless network.
Public access to the wireless network is available; however, because the connection is outside the firewall, some U of S network resources are not accessible.
- Open a web browser and press the Accept button below the terms and conditions.
- Establish a VPN or enable other security measures as appropriate.
Request Access for Conference Attendees
Employees at the U of S can request wireless guest access for an individual or conference.
- Log in to PAWS.
- If you have not added the Wireless Guest Access channel to My Channels add it by:
- Clicking on the Browse Channels button (at the bottom of left menu).
- In the search type in: Wireless Guest Access.
- Click the Wireless Guest Access button.
- Click the Add to My Channels button.
- Click the My Channels button and select the Wireless Guest Access button.
- Click the link for Request wireless network access for guests.
A new window will open the wireless guest access request application. Once in the application, you will be able to request the following:
- Individual Guest IDs (e.g. for visiting instructors, researchers, etc.)
- Conference Guest IDs
Once your guest has their conference ID they may access the guest network. Because the connection is outside the firewall, some U of S network resources are not accessible when connected to the guest wireless service.
- Open a web browser and log in using your university provided conference ID.
- Establish a VPN or enable other security measures as appropriat
Improve Your Reception
If you are experiencing an intermittent or slow connection it may be the result of interference from other electronic devices. Some factors that affect the quality of your connection include:
- Distance from your location to the access point.
- Number and type of walls and obstruction between you and the access point.
- Number of electronic devices in the vicinity.
- Number of users connected to the access point at the same time.
Request Additional Wireless Coverage
Complete our form to request additional wireless coverage.
- Students, instructors, researchers, employees, guests
- Valid NSID and Role for uofs-secure
- Guest/Conference ID for uofs-guest
- Agree to Terms and Conditions for uofs-public