Information and Communications Technology (ICT) provides and supports several different types of web conferencing systems and services.
Blackboard Collaborate and WebEx are full-featured, versatile web conferencing systems that can be used for small or large conferences. There are major differences in the way that the services are licensed for use at U of S.
- Uses a virtual classroom paradigm
- ICT manages licenses to ensure all participants in scheduled classes can connect
- Can be booked for an entire term
- Superior audio performance
- Service is hosted off campus
- integration with central identification management systems is handled via BBLearn.
- Service can be used independent of BBLearn, to include non-U of S participants.
ICT also provides some support for Skype, a widely used free program that is great for one-on-one conferencing and for bringing in a remote lecturer to a class of any size. Blackboard Collaborate and WebEx may also be used for these purposes, but may require more training and support than Skype.
Skype Convenient for single location to single location
- Free online service;
- Widely used, available to everyone
- ICT can provide initial set-up and testing support upon request. Contact Us