From: John Yeo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Date: 11/17/00-09:59:11 PM Z
A couple of years ago, I read an article about some kids who found several
large containers of mercury in a shed. They passed it around school, and
everybody played with it, some even put it in their mouths. A while later,
many kids started coming down with nervous system problems. They couldn't
figure out why the hell it was happening, until they tested for toxins in
the homes. They found massive ammounts of mercury in the carpets and
everywhere else. I don't think the article gave any more info, it was just
a one or two paragraph blurb in either time or newsweek. I think it was
around 5 yrs ago.
My two bits,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert W. Schramm" <email@example.com>
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 6:48 PM
Subject: Re: Mercury WARNINGS
> I know you mean well but anyone reading your post who does not already
> all the stuff you wrote has no business messing with mercury
> until they learn all that and more from a competent instructor. It is
> a sufficient warning to say that it is toxic.
> I think most of the people on this list are intelligent and know about
> the dangers of the chemistry they use. They are smart because they
> could not do alternative process photography otherwise.
> Every so often on this list someone gives us a lecture on some
> highly toxic substence. I appreciate the fact that they are concerned
> us and again I know they mean well, but really, we already
> know about this stuff.
> Thanks for your concern,
> Bob Schramm
> >From: firstname.lastname@example.org
> >Reply-To: email@example.com
> >To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> >Subject: Re: Mercury WARNINGS
> >Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:34:59 -0700
> > >>How do those of you using mercury protect yourselves against mercury
> >First of all, wear protective gloves when handling it. I wore a
> >respirator when I was using the stuff. I found mercury intensifier to be
> >a favorite of mine, so I used compounds containing the element. Heating
> >mercury is a bad idea as well. Fumes are particularly dangerous. I also
> >used Cyanides for plating, but no longer. I refuse to expose myself to
> >potential problems, and as sure as I am writing this message, I know for
> >a fact that no matter how careful I might be, there is always a chance
> >for problems.
> >Remember that if you are using the pure metal and you should drop some,
> >it will split apart into thousands of little metal beads, and go all over
> >the place, thus creating contamination that you most likely will NEVER be
> >able to clean up, leaving mercury in places you do not want it. The small
> >balls will lodge everywhere and you can never be sure if you cleaned it
> >all up or not.
> >Think about this when deciding to use mercury. Consider that if you drop
> >a spoonful on your floor, that area is contaminated probably permanently.
> >Think about your work area - do you really want to have to declare an
> >area of your home off limits for the end of time; baring the fact that
> >for thousands of dollars you could have the local Haz-Mat team remove the
> >Over cautious? You bet I am. Should you never experiment with mercury?
> >No, just be aware of all potential problems. Before we knew of the
> >dangers, hat manufacturers went insane from mercury poisioning. Mad as a
> >Hatter is a phrase that came from this.
> >Remember that mercury will absorb into your system and can cause serious
> >health issues. ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS even if you wear gloves when
> >handling the material. Only purchase what you need and do not stockpile
> >it. Lock it up and DO NOT allow children to get near it or use it.
> >Make sure you dispose of it properly, and NEVER in the trash. This goes
> >for containers that mixed it, the packaging the manufacturer packed it in
> >and any materials that came into contact with it. Remember that if you
> >are using mercury to create products you sell, you are most likely
> >required to obtain permits for disposal of contaminated materials. Check
> >the laws in your area. Mercury is a serious concern these days and
> >rightly so.
> >God help you if you take it internally by mistake. I am not sure what the
> >medical solution is, but it will decompose when in your system thereby
> >creating health problems you do not want.
> >Go to any of the Web Sites that allow you to download Material Safety
> >Data Sheets (MSDS). They will give you plenty of information about
> >specific problems with the material. They will talk about PPE (Personal
> >Protective Equipment), dealing with poisoning, Safe, handling
> >precautions, etc.
> >Finally, if at all possible, do not use mercury. That is the best way to
> >protect yourself. I can understand why people want to create Dags with
> >it. However, is this pursuit really worth the potential problems? That's
> >for you to decide.
> Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.
> Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : 12/01/00-11:46:57 AM Z CST