2010 NSERC Discovery Grant Competition
IMPORTANT: U of S Internal Deadline for submission of signed hard copy to Research Services: 4:30 p.m. local time, October 25th
NSERC Deadline for Research Services to e-submit to NSERC: 5 p.m. local time, November 1st
***If the application is not received by the external deadline, it will be considered late and will be rejected. ***
About the Program
Read the program description in the Program Guide for Professors before you complete the application.
Who Completes the Application
The applicant completes the application including all required documentation using the On-Line System. In addition, the Personal Data Form (Form 100) must be completed by applicants and co-applicants and linked to the application form.
You are responsible for submitting a complete application that conforms to the presentation standards established by NSERC. Incomplete applications and applications that do not meet the presentation standards may be rejected, or be at a disadvantage, in comparison with those that are complete and respect the presentation standards. Where page limits are stated, pages in excess of the number permitted will be removed. Excess pages will not be seen by the Evaluation Groups.
For more information, read the NSERC On-line Presentation and Attachment Standards.
Preparing Your Application:
· Review Grant Writing Seminars from external professional grant writers:
Mary Walters - Effective Grant writing http://www.usask.ca/research/files/details.php?id=653
Martin Butler - Grantsmanship 101 http://www.usask.ca/research/files/details.php?id=478
· Before applying, read the Discovery program description and application instructions: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/OnlineServices-ServicesEnLigne/instructions/101/e.asp?prog=dg
· A NSERC Discovery Grant Application Guide has been posted on our Research Services Workshops & Resource Material web page see: http://www.usask.ca/research/files/details.php?id=371
· NSERC has posted a Peer Review Manual http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/Reviewers-Examinateurs/PeerReview-EvalPairs_eng.asp & and other helpful information on the Discovery Grants Program http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Professors-Professeurs/Grants-Subs/DGIGP-PSIGP_eng.asp .
· For detailed information on eligible and ineligible expenses, consult the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Professors-Professeurs/FinancialAdminGuide-GuideAdminFinancier/index_eng.asp
· Read NSERC’s e-submission frequently asked questions: http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/OnlineServices-ServicesEnLigne/FAQ-FAQ_eng.asp
Support provided by OVPR/Research for NSERC Discovery applicants:
1. Provide copies of previously successful applications: Research Services, on request, can provide potential applicants copies of previously U of S successful grant applications for mentoring purposes. When submitting applications applicants are asked if successful would they like to share their application for mentoring purposes with other faculty. We make sure to check with the principle investigator before sharing any applications outside of our office.
2. List of Grant Writers: Research Services has a list of fee-for-service external grant writers. This list can be provided to any applicants who are interested.
Any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact either your College Research Facilitator/Coordinator or the Grants Specialist in Research Services assigned to your College listed below:
· Nicole Benning (i.e. Agriculture; Arts & Science for Social Sciences & Fine Arts/Humanities) Grants Specialist 966-8370 firstname.lastname@example.org
· Oksana Moshynska (i.e. Medicine; Nursing; Pharmacy & Nutrition) Grants Specialist 966-2362 Oksana.email@example.com
· Brenda Meyer-Burt (i.e. Arts & Science or Sciences, Engineering, School of Environment & Sustainability, VIDO, WCVM) Grants Specialist 966-2998 Brenda.firstname.lastname@example.org
For a complete list of Research Services Teams and what Grants & Contracts Specialists are assigned to which areas please see Research Services Organizational Chart: http://www.usask.ca/research/research_services/pdfs/RSOrgStructure%20MAY%202010.pdf
Sonia K Boyko
University of Saskatchewan
3434 - 110 Gymnasium Place
Saskatoon,SK. S7N 4J8
PH: 306-966-2358 Fax: 306-966-8597
Statement of Confidentiality: This message and any attachments are intended only for the
use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, transmission, conversion to hard
copy, circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail,
and delete this message and any attachments from your system. Thank you.