2) Basic time signatures and rhythmic notation
Objectives: The student should be able to:
1) define pulse/beat, metre [duple, triple, quadruple; simple, compound], rhythm, note value
2) aurally identify duple, triple, and quadruple meters, of both exercises and "real" musical examples
3) be able to aurally identify simple and compound meter
4) recognize and write basic note values
5) write equations using equivalent note values
6) given a correctly notated rhythm, in a specified tempo, be able to supply counting syllables beneath the rhythm, and be able to intone the rhythm
7) given a correctly notated rhythm without metre signature, be able to supply a likely metre signature.
8) using a given succession of note durations, be able to re-notate the rhythm according to a specified simple or compound metre, with the necessary ties, beams, dots, and bar lines.
9) Given a specified metre signature and a rhythmic pattern involving silence, be able to notate the silence with a rest or rests in accordance with the metre signature.
• Practice identifying duple, triple, and quadruple metre aurally
• Practice equations with note values
• Print out a written self-test and answer sheet
Return to the Department of Music