E- Learning DVD Library
June ’06 – Time to Understand Change: Sharing Ways to Reduce Harm & Improve Health
- Understanding Change and Harm Reduction Theory
- Incorporating Harm Reduction into Health Practice
- Harm Reduction in Practice: A Community, Agency and Client Perspective
September ’06 – Cross-Training Initiatives in Saskatchewan Mental health & Addictions
- Primary focuses in establishing cross-training initiatives is to address the problems many health professionals often have to contend with when dealing with clients suffering from concurrent disorders.
- A concurrent disorder may be loosely defined as one where both mental illness and substance-related problems are present (e.g., schizophrenia and alcohol abuse).
- Training of mental health and substance-abuse professionals have occurred separately from one another and thus resulted in a fragmented system.
- Cross-training and greater integration of the two areas are seen as essential first steps in improving treatment of this client population.
November ’06 – Pain Management: An Interprofessional Approach to Improving Care
- The Art and Science of Pain Management
- Why Children’s Pain Matters
- Pediatric Pain Assessment and Procedural Pain Management
- Pain Assessment in the Adult Client
- The Psychology of Pain
- The Saskatchewan Pain Network
December ’06 – IHI Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care
May ’07 – Active Transportation: A Missing Link in Public Health
September ’07 – The Infection Connection: An Infection Control Update for Healthcare Professionals and Students in Saskatchewan
- Bugs in the News (VRE, MRSA, TB, Norovirus)
- Effective outbreak management with Marilyn Weinmaster
- Impacts of an outbreak
November ’07 – Practical Skills to Enhance Work with Clients with Concurrent Disorders
- Practical strategies for clinicians working with clients who have concurrent disorders
- Case studies
- Featuring Irene Ralph and Lorri Carlson
February ’08 – Child Injury Prevention: What’s Happening?
- National Initiatives with Pamela Fuselli
- Child injury prevention
- Supporting community initiatives
- The “How to” of program implementation
June ’08 – Measuring Success: Can We Prove We Make A Difference
- Finding the Logic and a logic model sample
- Case Studies
- Moving from outcomes to indicators
September ’08 – Midwifery Implementation in Saskatchewan
- Overview of Midwifery Across Canada and the Model of Midwifery in Saskatchewan
- Role of the Regulatory body, registration & licensing requirements
- Midwifery model of practice
- Introduction and integration
November ’08 – Pandemic Planning in Small and Large Personal Care Homes
- Medical & Historical Aspects of Influenza Pandemics
- Creating your contingency plan
- Guidelines for effective outbreak management – Large & Small facilities
February ’09 – Alcohol: Exploring Practical Strategies for Community Change
- Setting the stage with Dr. Norman Giesbrecht
- Provincial alcohol strategy
- Local issues/common challenges
- Exploring broad-based solutions including alcohol pricing, graduated licensing and server intervention
- Exploring community driven approaches
May ’09 – Memorandum of Understanding On First Nations Health and Wellbeing with Gordon Tootoosis
- First Nations Health: Framing the issue
- Site work – identifying issues and solutions
September ’09 - Making the Leap: Helping newly Graduated Nurses Make the Transition from Student to Practitioner
- Transition theory overview & transition shock theory overview
- Application of transition theory & shock theory
October ’09 – Oncologic Emergencies: What All Nurses Caring for Cancer Patients Need to Know
- Defining and describing Oncologic Emergencies
- Spinal Cord Compression
February ’10 – Comprehensive School Health in Action: Using the Renewed Provincial Health Education Curriculum
- Joint Consortium on School Health
- Health Promoting School Activity
- Comprehensive School Health Discussion
- Curriculum Review
- Resource Development
March ’10 – Clinical Evidence in Everyday Practice: An Easy Approach
- Planning your Search for Evidence
- Findings from Our Search
- Appraising the evidence to determine quality and value
- Linking the Results Back to the Clinical Practice Case
March ’10 – Becoming A Mentor with Linda Ferguson
- Mentoring – what is it? Formal and informal
- Benefits of mentoring – to the new nurse, experienced nurse and the nursing unit
- Roles that mentors can and do fill
- Characteristics of effective mentors
- The role of the protégé
- The mentoring process – how to start and sustain it
March ’10 – Empowering Health Consumers: Discovering Healthline Online
- Health Condition topics, which cover diagnosed conditions, and Symptom-based topics, which are used to assess people’s health concerns and determine when to seek care from a health professional.
- Decision Pointsgive people the framework and information to make personal health decisions about tests and treatment options.
- Action setsprovide people with in-depth information and practical tools to help them take action in managing chronic illnesses and gain a sense of control over their health.
- Interactive tools help people assess health statuses or issues based on their personal data; examples include Risk of Heart Disease, Activity Calorie Calculator, Cost of Smoking, Risk of Depression, and Fertility Calculator.
- Wellness, prevention and healthy living topics which cover everyday health issues that concern everyone and that can have a major affect on a person’s general health such as nutrition, stress management, fitness, and quitting smoking.
May ' 10 -E-Health in Saskatchewan Nursing: Current & Future State
- Introduction to the NurseONE portal (examples of its use in practice)
- Using electronic Health Records used in primary health care
- Using new technologies for learning
- Transfer of medical function: The regulatory perspective
- The Saskatchewan Insulin Adjustment Module - Adapting the template & implementing it
- New insulin products for diabetes management
- Basic carbohydrate counting and practical applications
- Insulin management: Case studies and discussions
- New insulin adjustment module: Fasting for tests or procedures
November '10 - Maternal Mental Health: Understanding, Care and Support
- Depression, anxiety, blues, pinks, psychosis - what are the signs and symptoms?
- Screening - Using the Edinburgh postnatal depression scale (EPDS)
- Medical Management - women with maternal mental health problems and women with existing concerns
- Facilitating a postpartum depression support group
- psychological interventions, and promoting positive maternal mental health
February '12 - HIV Treatment in Saskatchewan
- • HIV Foundations
• Newly Diagnosed
• HIV Viral Replication Cycle
• Starting HIV Treatment in Saskatchewan
• Medication Adherence, Resistance and Side Effects
• HIV/Hep C co-infection
• Panel of PLWHAs to talk about their experiences with HIV treatment and care, including those who have chosen NOT to participate in treatment
March '12 - Pregnancy and HIV: Promoting Healthy Conception and Motherhood
- to introduce the clinical and social issues related to pregnancy, pregnancy planning, conception and motherhood for people living with HIV and their partners
- describe the Canadian Fertility Program including the National Pregnancy Planning Clinical Practice Guidelines
- reduce HIV-related stigma regarding pregnancy and HIV
- To provide up-to-date information about breastfeeding, BFI, medical indications for use of infant formula, special considerations in breastfeeding and the transition for moms from prenatal, birth to community and how health care providers can support women to successfully breastfeed until the child is two years of age.
- To identify Saskatchewan experts in the area of breastfeeding support.
- To support the learning needs of health care providers in Saskatchewan around breastfeeding.
- To increase awareness of inter-professional roles in the breastfeeding journey.
- To move BFI forward in Saskatchewan