Continuing Education and Development for Nurses
Foot Care Modalities for the Elderly Person
Description: To standardize basic foot care of elderly people in the province of Saskatchewan, within the scope of practice of Registered Nurses, Registered Psychiatric Nurses, and Licensed Practical Nurses by providing:
- an increased understanding of the structure and function of the foot
- an awareness of the more common foot and nail pathologies and ability to determine when it would be appropriate to refer to a podiatrist or a physician
- an increased understanding of etiology, pathology, assessment and nursing intervention associated with diabetes, venous vascular disease, peripheral arterial disease, and ulcerations of the ankle and foot
- information and practice on geriatric foot and diabetic foot assessment techniques
- information on instruments: use, sterilization, cleaning and disinfecting techniques, as well as care and storage
- an opportunity to participate in foot care procedures including nail and skin care, and padding and strapping
- an awareness of the health and safety factors involved in providing foot care
The Foot Care Workshop offered by CEDN prepares LPNs to provide basic foot care with additional competencies according to the SALPN Practice Guideline. The knowledge, skill, and ability acquired in this workshop prepares LPNs to provide foot care to clients and residents in Home Care and Long Term Care settings where required by the employer. The CEDN Foot Care Workshop is taught by licensed podiatrists and does discuss the use of tools such as the black file and the diamond deb file. This course qualifies for the SRNA, RPNAS, SALPN yearly continuing competence programs.
April 16-17, 2015 - Saskatoon (Dr. Roche)
Dr. Edward Hauck - Dr. Sarah-Jane Roche - Dr. Corrine Campbell - Dr. Laura Desjardins
Dr. Ata Stationwala
Dr. Corrine Campbell
Workshops sell out quickly - so early registration is advised.
COST: $315.00 + GST (Includes all course materials)
Full fees must accompany registration. No post-dated cheques accepted.
Payment will be processed before registration is guaranteed and pre-course materials are mailed.
DEADLINE for registration is 3 weeks prior to the date of the workshop.
Each workshop is limited to 20 registrants. No substitutions.
The registration fee will be refunded, less an administration fee of $75.00 plus GST if:
Notification of cancellation is received 7 days prior to the date of the workshop, and course material is returned to CEDN.
NO REFUND will be made for cancellations received after the 7 days prior to the workshop.