The Strasbourg and District Health Center is a primary health site that focuses on family and community health.
Primary Health achieves success by providing services that address the main problem and concerns within the community. The services are broad and are focused in the areas of: promotion, prevention, cure, rehabilitation, and palliation. This model offers high quality services close to the client's home, at the most appropriate time, and is provided by an effective combination of heath providers.
Members of the Primary Health Teams include:
- a Nurse Practitioner
- a Pharmacist
- a Public Health Nurse
- Other professionals are also available as required
Public Health Programs to all ages:
- prenatal, postnatal
- immunization all ages
- parenting support and info
- influenza programs
- health teaching and promotion
- health fairs
Students, in the past, have been involved in:
- Child Health Clinics: screen, weigh, measure
- attending meetings
- teaching in schools and planning with teacher
- prenatal classes
- follow-up of high needs family
- working directly with a Nurse Practitioner on assessment and treatment plans
- community development initiatives and other population based activities.
Opportunities for inter-professional clinical placements include working with another Public Health Nurse or a home care nurse.