English Language Requirements
The language of instruction at the College of Nursing, University of Saskatchewan is English. A high level understanding and functionality in English is essential for safe client care in health professions in Saskatchewan. Applicants whose primary language is not English must present evidence of proficiency in English, regardless of country's official language.
Primary language shall be defined as the language you learned at home in childhood or the language which you identify as knowing best and being most comfortable with and is the language primarily used for reading, writing, listening and speaking.
If you are not a citizen of one of the countries listed below, you must write and successfully pass an English proficiency examination, regardless of what your primary language is:
- Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Canada, England, Fiji, Ghana, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, Sierra Leone, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United States, US Virgin Islands, Wales, Zambia, Zimbabwe
The following examination scores serve as evidence of English language proficiency. Prospective students should note the minimum requirements that must be attained for admission to nursing programs at the U of S.
Prior attendance at a Canadian high school or having 18 transferrable credit units from an English speaking/testing institution are not adequate evidence of English language proficiency.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL - IBT)*
- Overall Score - 90
- Reading - 20
- Writing - 20
- Speaking - 26
- Listening - 22
*Note: Paper based test is not accepted.
- International English Language (IELTS)
- Academic Module - 7.0
- Speaking Component - 7.0
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL)
- Overall Band Score - 70
- Reading - 60
- Listening - 60
- Writing - 60
- Speaking - 70
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
- Speaking - 5.0
- Listening - 4.5
- Reading - 4.5
- Writing - 4.5