Faculty & Staff
RN, BSN, MCEd, PhD
- Research Interests
- Policy development
- Health system quality
- Rural & remote health & nursing education
- Quality in nursing education
- PhD, Department of Educational Administration, University of Saskatchewan Dissertation title: making a diversity difference: Stories of leadership creating a more inclusive nursing profession.
- MCEd (1986). Department of Continuing Education, University of Saskatchewan. Thesis title: Adult students in Diploma Nursing education: An analysis of their characteristics and problems experienced in comparison with younger students.
- BN (1975) School of Nursing, University of Manitoba.
- My professional interests can be summed up in the following tag line: "Quality and equality through leadership and policy"
- I am interested in quality improvement in the health care system, especially as it relates to nurses work life issues.
- I am interested in quality improvement in nursing and health professional education from both curricular and policy perspectives.
- I am interested in leadership in nursing and nursing education from a critical theoretical perspective.
- I am interested in equity and social justice issues in health care and health professional education, especially as they relate to inclusive and exclusionary practices of the professions which impact the participation of marginalized groups in the health professions.
- I have been in administrative positions at the College of Nursing since 2010, as the Associate Dean, North and North western Campus and Rural and Remote Engagement, and Acting Dean (2013/14). I have taught in courses dealing with nursing leadership, health care systems, ethics, professional regulation and nursing/health care issues. I have supervised students in community settings, most recently in a senior practicum with Lac La Ronge Indian Band Health Services (2007-2010), and in many other clinical settings throughout my 34 + years as a nurse educator in Saskatchewan.
Current professional practice and scholarship
- 2013: Contracted by the Ministry of Health and the Saskatchewan Union of Nurses to conduct a review of the Recruitment and Retention Initiatives of the SUN Government Partnership and make recommendations.
- 2012: Contracted by the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions to conduct a national study on nursing workload and patient safety, and produce a policy document, entitled Nursing Workload and Patient Safety: Understanding the Value of Nurses, the Effects of Excessive Workload, and How Nurse-patient Ratios and Dynamic Staffing Models Can Help. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions.
- 2011: Conducted an evaluation of the Research to Action Initiatives of a project conducted by Health Canada, Saskatchewan Union of Nurses, Saskatchewan Ministry of Health, and Saskatoon Health Region Stamler, L., Berry, L., & Alecxe, A. (2011). Research to Action Saskatchewan Final Report: Improving Patient, Nursing and Organizational Outcomes Utilizing formal Nurse-Patient Ratios.
- 2005-present: member of the Canadian Association of schools of Nursing Accreditation Team
- 2010 - present Co-chair, Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Advisory committee on Accrediation Policy
- 2010-present Consultant program reviewer with the College of registered Nurses of British Columbia.
- 2011-present: reviewer for the Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership
- 2012: Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Wendy McBride Award for Accreditation Reviewer Excellence
- 2012: Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association Elizabeth Van Valkenburg Award for Leadership in Nursing Education.
Berry, Lois E. (2008). Aboriginal student success in health professional education: Culture and beyond. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 2(4), 169-178. (Presented virtually at the Second Annual International Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Conference, Granada, Spain, July 10 -13, 2007).
Berry, L.E. (2007). Criminal record checks in health professional education. International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 1(6), 11-20. (Presented virtually at the First Annual International Interdisciplinary Social Sciences Conference, Rhodes, Greece, July 18, 2006).
Bassendowski, S., Fowler-Kerry, S. (co-PIs), Berry, L., Butler, L., Henry, C., Petrucka, P., & Storzick, C. (2009). Interprofessional Collaborative Practice in Global Health: Nursing and Other Health Professions Making the Links between Saskatchewan and the Philippines, $10,000, Interprofessional Health Collaborative of Saskatchewan.
Ferguson, L., Berry, L., Fowler-Kerry, S., Wall, P., Kent-Wilkinson, A., Spurr, S., Besse, C., Hewson, K., Evans, R., & Bowen, A. (2010). Enhancing the Student Learning Experience Through Lecture Capture, $5,000, Western Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing.
Berry, L.E. (2007). Criminal Record Checks Policy in Health Professional Education: An Analysis of the Ethical and Administrative Issues in Implementation, $5000, Western Region Canadian Association Schools of Nursing Research Award. This project is the second phase in this program of research (see Start Up Funds project). Data collection for this project is complete and data analysis underway. Project completion is slated for March 2010.
Berry, L.E. (2007). Criminal Record Checks in Health Professional Education: Ethical Issues in Implementation Phase 1, $5000, University of Saskatchewan Start Up Funds Research Grant Project. The data collection for this project has been completed. Data analysis is underway, with completion of the project slated for December 2009.