Faculty & Staff
RN, MN, PhD, CMSN(C)
Office: E4342 Health Sciences, Saskatoon
Phone: (306) 966-4096
Fax: (306) 966-6621
- Research Interests
- Health systems research
- Health human resources in rural workplaces
- Employee recruitment and retention
- Workplace learning including mentorship of employees
- New nurse transition
Noelle’s interest in promoting quality work environments through mentorship guided her graduate research. Her quantitative master’s research studied registered nurses’ perceptions of mentoring in two provinces. Her qualitative PhD dissertation examined nurse managers’ perceptions of their roles in creating mentoring cultures.
Noelle joined the College of Nursing in 2006 in a contract position teaching in the undergraduate program in various acute care-related labs and clinicals. In 2012, she was hired into a tenure track position as an Assistant Professor. She continues to teach medical and surgical concepts and skills to students.
Noelle received her undergraduate and graduate education at the University of Saskatchewan (BSN - 2002, MN - 2008, PhD - 2012)
Noelle has a background in and passion for medical and surgical nursing. She continues to work on a general surgery unit in Saskatoon. She was on the national executive that founded the Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association -Medical Surgical Certification exam. She obtained her Canadian Nurses Association Medical Surgical Certification in 2013.
Noelle has been involved in numerous local, provincial, and national committees including:
- Member, Investigations Committee, Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association (SRNA), Regina, SK, Sept 2014 - Oct 2017
- Member at Large - University of Saskatchewan College of Nursing Representative, Western & North-Western Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (WNRCASN); February 2014 - present.
- Member, Canadian Nurses Association Medical-Surgical Nursing Certification Exam Committee, Canadian Nurses Association; August 2013-August 2018.
- Member, Rural Nurse Organization, January 2013 - present
- Member, International Mentoring Association, October 2011 - present
- Membership Advisory Committee, Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association (SRNA), Regina, SK, June 2008 - May 2014. Chair - Sept 2011-Aug 2012. (Interim Chair - May 2011-Sept 2011).
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Xi Lambda Chapter, Member, Winnipeg, MN, July 2009-Present
- Volunteer Development Committee, University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association, Member at Large, Saskatoon, SK, Feb 2011-April 2012
- Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses Exam Item Writing Committee, Canadian Nurses Association, Ottawa, ON, March 2009
- Alternate Auditor, SRNA Continuing Competence Program, Regina, SK, April 2008
- Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses Standards Writing Committee, Ottawa, ON, January 2008
- External Communications Director, Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses, founding executive board member, Mar. 2007 – Present
Honors and Academic Awards
- The Ferguson Graduate Student Leadership Award (2011)
- Norman & Alice Caplin Scholarship (2011)
- Saskatchewan Union of Nurses/Saskatoon Health Region Professional Development Funding (2011)
- University Graduate Teaching Fellowship (2010)
- Myrtle Evangeline Crawford Scholarship (2010)
- Alice Caplin Award (2009)
- Dean’s Scholarship (2008)
- Lucy D. Willis Scholarship (2008)
- University Graduate Scholarship (2007)
- Saskatchewan Health - Nurse Educator Bursary (2007)
- Annie I. Earle Award For Nurses (2006)
Peer Reviewed Manuscripts:
Knox, K., Rohatinsky, N., Rogers, M., Goodridge, D., & Linassi, G. (In Press). Access to traumatic spinal cord injury care in Saskatchewan, Canada: A qualitative study on community healthcare provider perspectives. Canadian Journal of Disability Studies.
Rohatinsky, N., & Ferguson, L. (2013). Mentorship in rural healthcare organizations: Challenges and opportunities. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 13(2), 149-172.
Rohatinsky, N., & Ferguson, L. (2013). Mentorship in healthcare organizations: Managers’ perspectives. Management Education: An International Journal, 13(1), 11-20.
Textbook Chapter Publications:
Ferguson, L. M., & Rohatinsky, N. K. (2012). The nursing process. In L. Yiu, L. Stamler, M. Buck, & B. Kozier, (Eds.). Fundamentals of Canadian Nursing: Concepts, Process and Practice (3rd Canadian Ed.). Toronto, Pearson.
Ferguson L (Principal Investigator), Racine L (Co-principal Investigator), Rohatinsky N (Co-investigator), Graham-Marrs H (Co-investigator). Facilitating Workplace Learning for Internationally-Educated Workers and Students, and their Canadian Counterparts: A Participatory Action Project. SSHRC: Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. Total: $220,000.00 for 2014-05-01 to 2017-05-01.
Rohatinsky N (Principal Investigator), Press M (Co-investigator), Compton R (Co-investigator), Sedgwick M (Co-investigator). Nursing Students’ and Instructors’ Perceptions of Clinical Environments on Students Learning: A comparison of two different clinical models in four western provinces. Western & Northwestern Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing. Total: $5,000.00 for 2014-02 to 2016-02.
Press M (Principal Investigator), Compton R (Co-investigator), Perry R (Co-investigator), Rohatinsky N (Co-investigator), Sedgwick M (Co-investigator). Phase II: Nursing Students' Perceptions of the Learning Environment in Two Different Clinical Education Models. Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST) - Nursing Division. Total: $2,500.00 for 2013-06 to 2013-12.