Faculty & Staff
|Office||434 Ellis Hall, Saskatoon|
- Research Interests
- Health systems research
- Mentorship of new employees
- New nurse transition
- Nurse managers
Noelle’s interest in promoting quality work environments through mentorship guided her graduate research. Her quantitative master’s research studied registered nurses’ perceptions of mentoring in two provinces. Her qualitative PhD dissertation examined nurse managers’ perceptions of their roles in creating mentoring cultures.
Noelle joined the College of Nursing in 2006 in a contract position teaching in the undergraduate program in various acute care-related labs and clinicals. In 2012, she was hired into a tenure track position as an Assistant Professor. She continues to teach medical and surgical concepts and skills to students.
Noelle received her undergraduate and graduate education at the University of Saskatchewan. (BSN - 2002, MN – 2008). She will be completing her PhD in nursing in the fall of 2012.
Noelle has a background in and passion for medical and surgical nursing. She continues to work on a general surgery unit in Saskatoon. She was on the national executive that founded the Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses and the Canadian Nurses Association -Medical Surgical Certification exam.
Noelle has been involved in numerous local, provincial, and national committees including:
- Membership Advisory Committee, Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association (SRNA), Regina, SK, June 2008 - May 2014. Chair - Sept 2011-Aug 2012. (Interim Chair - May 2011-Sept 2011).
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Xi Lambda Chapter, Member, Winnipeg, MN, July 2009-Present
- Volunteer Development Committee, University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association, Member at Large, Saskatoon, SK, Feb 2011-April 2012
- Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses Exam Item Writing Committee, Canadian Nurses Association, Ottawa, ON, March 2009
- Alternate Auditor, SRNA Continuing Competence Program, Regina, SK, April 2008
- Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses Standards Writing Committee, Ottawa, ON, January 2008
- External Communications Director, Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses, founding executive board member, Mar. 2007 – Present
Honors and Academic Awards
- The Ferguson Graduate Student Leadership Award (2011)
- Norman & Alice Caplin Scholarship (2011)
- Saskatchewan Union of Nurses/Saskatoon Health Region Professional Development Funding (2011)
- University Graduate Teaching Fellowship (2010)
- Myrtle Evangeline Crawford Scholarship (2010)
- Alice Caplin Award (2009)
- Dean’s Scholarship (2008)
- Lucy D. Willis Scholarship (2008)
- University Graduate Scholarship (2007)
- Saskatchewan Health - Nurse Educator Bursary (2007)
- Annie I. Earle Award For Nurses (2006)
Ferguson, L. M., & Rohatinsky, N. K. (2012). The nursing process. In L. Yiu, L. Stamler, M. Buck, & B. Kozier, (Eds.). Fundamentals of Canadian Nursing: Concepts, Process and Practice (3rd Canadian Ed.). Toronto, Pearson.