This section provides resources to help you prepare a budget, no matter how big or small. It includes templates for budgets and budget justifications, rates of pay for research staff, benefit calculation, recent cost estimates, overhead/indirect costs, and information regarding tax and inflation.
Templates for budgets and budget justification
These templates are suitable for CIHR applications but could be adapted for other funding agencies. When devising your budget be sure to refer to the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide and CIHR application instructions on ResearchNet.
Research staff are classified and paid according to their education, skill level, and responsibility. How to classify and pay an employee should be based on the University's Classification Guidelines, the employer's judgment regarding the individual's experience and abilities and the University's current rates of pay.
- Student Rates of Pay for undergraduate or graduate students enrolled full-time in a program of study. Note full-time graduate students cannot work more than 12 hours per week.
- Current rates of pay for:
- CUPE hires (clerical assistant, technical assistant, etc.)
- ASPA hires (research assistant, research officer, etc.)
- ASFA hires (research scientist, professional research associate, etc.)
Mandatory or nondiscretionary benefits (CPP, WC, EI, vacation and statutory holiday pay) are an eligible cost and should be included in your budget for research personnel. The benefits rate depends on whether the employee is paid on an hourly, monthly or stipend basis. When budgeting to pay research personnel:
- on an hourly basis, add 17.63% benefits to the hourly rate to include CPP, WC, EI, vacation pay and statutory holiday pay
- on a monthly basis and student stipends, including graduate student stipends, add 8.06% to the base rate to include CPP, WC, EI. (Vacation pay is not included as typically such employees would be required to take vacation time prior to the end of their term of employment in-lieu of being paid out).
- Guide to Mandatory Benefits
- Letter of Offer Templates for STUDENT hires (see Appendices VI to IX)
- Forms to hire and set up payroll
Below are accepted costs and recent quotes. For assistance with quotes on larger items contact a College of Nursing Research Facilitator.
Costs (Updated July 2013)
- Mileage: $0.4134/km (revised July 2013)
- CAUBO/AUCC hotel rates
- Child care while travelling: $40/day (travel costs for child care provider ineligible)
- Parking: $10/day/car (based on daily maximum for UofS pay lot)
- Minimum $60/ 1-hour call; rates vary, see the SaskTel website
- Lunch meeting: $15/person
- Retreat Costs: $25.00 - 50.00/person depending on venue (includes light breakfast, lunch, one coffee break, AV and room rental; does NOT include mileage to the event)
- Easel/Flipchart stand - $200.00
- Paper for flipchart - $30.00 for 250 sheets
- UofS podium: available from Facilities Management; no rental fee but charged for delivery, setup and pickup based on hourly rate ($35.28/hr/man)
- Laptop and data projector cart: $300.00/day (includes set-up - on campus only)
- A/V technician: $75/hr
- Wired microphone and speaker: $50/day (EMAP)
- EMAP Equipment Rental Rates
- Posters: XL Print & Design (on the same floor as Browsers in the Memorial Union Building, next to Starbucks) Phone 966-6976.
- Paper poster - $6.00 sq foot (unlimited colours)
- Vinyl poster - $9.50 sq. foot (unlimited colours)
- Design services - $50.00/hr
- Turnaround time: ready-to-print - 2 days; design work - 4 days.
Bring in your poster (finished or requiring design services) on CD or USB. Files are usually too large for email
- PC, iMac, Laptop & PDA quotes: email firstname.lastname@example.org and type "Quote Request" in the subject line
- Windows: $100-$160
- NVivo: Site License, Box Set from Manufacturers
- SPSS: $65/year (expires every August)
- Atlas TI:
- $620.09 (single user)
- $2452.02 (five users)
- Upgrade to the most recent version: $295US
- Student: $99US (Can never be upgraded, no time limit)
- Digital recorder: $79.00 - $149.00
- Digital transcribing software:
- Standard Overhead Rates and Guidelines Schedule from Research Services.
- List of eligible and ineligible items under the Indirect costs program.
Each taxable item must include the applicable provincial and federal taxes. Federal taxes should be calculated using the following after-rebate percentages: universities 2.3%, hospitals 1.2%, other institutions 3.5%. (CIHR Guidelines for Application, 2008)
For multi-year grants, be sure to add 2% to budget totals (in a separate budget line), to account for inflation.