U of S College of Pharmacy and Nutrition officially launches centennial year
The College of Pharmacy and Nutrition officially launched its Centennial Year on September 20, 2013 on the steps of the historic Thorvaldson Building. The short program included remarks from Garry King and Dennis Gorecki, centennial planning co-chairs, U of S Vice President Heather Magotiaux, Gordon Wyant, minister of justice, and the Saskatchewan Pharmacy and Nutrition Students’ Society Co-Presidents Laura Almas and Shelby Anderson.
Established in 1913, the School of Pharmacy admitted its first class of pharmacy students in January 1914. In 1921, the school became the College of Pharmacy, and in 1946, four years at the University and graduation with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy was set as the minimum educational requirement in order to be registered as a pharmacist in Saskatchewan. In 1987, the Division of Nutrition and Dietetics was established within the College of Pharmacy. In 1994, the name of the College of Pharmacy was changed to the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition.
“The College of Pharmacy and Nutrition is incredibly honoured to be able to join the select group of other colleges and academic units at the University of Saskatchewan that have reached a centennial milestone,” said David Hill, dean of the College of Pharmacy and Nutrition. “For 100 years, the college has graduated young adults who have gone on to successful careers as pharmacists in community pharmacies, hospitals, corporate pharmacy, the military, academia, primary care, and in regulatory and association management roles, and as pharmaceutical scientists to industry and research laboratories.”
The college continued the celebrations on September 20 with a tailgate party prior to the U of S Huskies Homecoming Football game.