Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology
About Our Lab
The research in our lab is focused on the analysis of homeobox (Hox) genes in the developing mammalian embryo primarily in the eye, palate and myelinating glia of the central nervous system. We are exploring the genetic regulation of myelination, remyelination in normal and aged models as well as looking at epigenetic factors in drug-induced teratogenicity and changes in gene expression. We are also studying the genetic regulation of palatal abnormalities such as cleft palate.
FUNDING: Research is funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
Room 215-110 Science Place
University of Saskatchewan
Dr. Adil J. Nazarali
Dr. Nazarali has been with the University of Saskatchewan since July 1995. He previously worked with Nobel Laureate, Dr. Marshall Nirenberg, at the National Institutes of Health (United States) cloning murine Hox genes. Dr. Nazarali teaches in the areas of Developmental Biology, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and Toxicology.
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Disease Modifying Therapy
A Reference Guide for Health Care Professionals
(Click to open PDF)
- Helal M, Das U, B. Bandy B, Islam A, Nazarali AJ, Dimmock JR Mitochondrial dysfunction contributes to the cytotoxicity of some 3,5-bis(benzylidene)-4-piperidone derivatives in colon HCT-116 cells, Bioorg. Medicinal Chem. Lett. (in press)
- Wei Z, Gabriel GG, Rui L, Cao X, Pennington PR, Chlan-Fourney J, Nazarali AJ, Baker GB and Mousseau DD. Monoamine oxidase-A physically interacts with presenilin-1 (M146V) in the mouse cortex. J. Alzheimer's Disease 28: 403-422.
- Ji S, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2011. Sirt2 is a novel in vivo downstream target of Nkx2.2 and enhances oligodendroglial cell differentiation Journal of Molecular Cell Biology, 0: 1–9.
- Nazarali AJ, 2011. Marshall Nirenberg 1927-2010. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology 6:805-807.
- Nazarali AJ and Talman WT, 2011. Special Issue on A Tribute to Marshall Nirenberg. Introduction. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 6:803.
- Wang Y, Zhang Y, He J, Zhang H, Xiao L, Nazarali A, Zhang Z, Zhang D, Tan Q, Kong J and Li XM, 2011. Hyperforin promotes mitochondrial function and development of oligodendrocytes. Journal of Neurochemistry, doi: 10.1111/j.1471-4159.2011.07433.
- Wang JM, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2011. Conditional Tet-regulated over-expression of Hoxa2 in CG4 cells increases their proliferation and delays their differentiation into oligodendrocyte-like cells expressing myelin basic protein, Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 6:875-886.
- Elsabahy M, Nazarali A and Foldvari M, 2011. Non-viral nucleic acid delivery: key challenges and future directions Current Drug Delivery 8: 235-244.
- Brown, GD and Nazarali, AJ, 2010. Matrix metalloproteinase-25 has a functional role in mouse secondary palate development and is a downstream target of TGF-b3. BMC Developmental Biology 10:93-101.
- Doucette, JR, Jiao R and Nazarali, 2010. Age-related and cuprizone-induced changes in myelin and transcription factor gene expression and in oligodendrocyte cell densities in the rostral corpus callosum of mice. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 30:607-629.
- Zhang B, Wang X and Nazarali AJ, 2010. Ascorbic acid reverses valproic acid induced inhibition of Hoxa2 and maintains glutathione homeostasis in mouse embryos in culture. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 30:137-148.
- Smith TM, Wang X, Zhang B, Kulyk W and Nazarali AJ, 2009. Hoxa2 plays a direct role in murine palate development. Developmental Dynamics, 238: 2364-2373.
- Ji L, Nazarali AJ and Paterson PG, 2008. Protein-Energy Malnutrition Increases Activation of Transcription Factor, Nuclear Factor Kappa B, in Gerbil Hippocampus Following Global Ischemia. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 19: 770-777.
- Nicolay DJ, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2007. Transcriptional Control of Oligodendrogenesis, GLIA, 55: 1287-1299.
- Booth J, Nicolay DJ, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2007. Hoxd1 is Expressed by Oligodendroglial Cells and Binds to a Region of the Human Myelin Oligodendrocyte Glycoprotein Promoter In Vitro. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 27: 641-650.
- Nazarali AJ, Zhang B and Wang X, 2007. Effect of Valproic Acid on Glutathione Homeostasis in Mouse Whole Embryo Cultures. Proceedings of SECOTOX, 1:61-66.
- Wang X, Zhang W and Nazarali AJ, 2007. Toxic Effects of Valproic Acid on Mouse Palatal Development In Vitro, Proceedings of SECOTOX, 1: 139-144.
- Nicolay DJ, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2006. Transcriptional Regulation of Neurogenesis in the Olfactory Epithelium, Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 26: 803-821.
- Akin Z and Nazarali AJ, 2005. Hox Genes and their Candidate Downstream Targets in the Developing Central Nervous System, Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 25: 697-741.
- Nicolay D, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2004. Early stages of Oligodendrocyte Development in the Embryonic Murine Spinal Cord proceed normally in the absence of Hoxa2 GLIA: 48: 14-26.
- Nicolay D, Doucette JR and Nazarali AJ, 2004. Hoxb4 in Oligodendrogenesis, Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 24: 357-366.
- Anderson PL, Doucette JR and Nazarli AJ, 2003. A Novel Method of Eliminating Non-neuronal Proliferating Cells from Cultures of Mouse Dorsal Root Ganglia, Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, 23: 205-210.
LaRhonda Sobchishin, Senior Research Technician
LaRhonda Graduated with distinction from the Biotechnology Program at SIAST Kelsey campus in Saskatoon and has since been active in the research community in Saskatoon. LaRhonda joined our lab in 2004 and has since become a valued member of our Lab family. LaRhonda's main research focus is the development of new in-vitro models for studying early murine myelination in neonatally leathal transgenic mouse lines. If we can understand the normal process of myelination, perhaps we can better devise strategies for fighting diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis. LaRhonda is also developing methods for culturing adult brain tissue as an in-vitro model for drug screening and experimental treatments. The ability to take these experiments ex-vivo will greatly reduce many experimental factors such as time and costs of housing for in-vivo treatments. LaRhonda also manages the lab and trains new lab members.
CURRENT GRADUATE STUDENTS:
FORMER GRADUATE STUDENTS: