The next step in the process is to complete the position profile, which the search committee expects to finalize in January 2015. Updates will be provided to the campus community throughout this process, and all information related to the search will be shared here.
The work of the search committee is essential to the process of selecting a new president
The committee includes representatives with academic, research, administrative and community perspectives. As chair of both the Board of Governors and the search committee, Greg Smith is joined by representation from the board, the University Senate, Deans’ Council, the General Academic Assembly, the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) and the University of Saskatchewan Students’ Union (USSU).
When the search committee has identified a preferred candidate, it will make a recommendation to the Board of Governors for its consideration.
Search committee members
- Greg Smith (chair of the committee)
- Michael Atkinson (executive director of the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy and representative of the deans and executive directors)
- Claire Card (professor of large animal clinical sciences and GAA representative)
- Pamela Downe (head of the Department of Archaeology and Anthropology and GAA representative)
- David Dubé (member of the Board of Governors)
- Blaine Favel (U of S chancellor and Senate representative)
- Len Findlay (professor of English and GAA representative)
- Max FineDay (president of the USSU)
- Grant Isaac (member of the Board of Governors)
- Lisa Kalynchuk (professor in the Department of Medicine and GAA representative)
- Preston Smith (dean of the College of Medicine and representative of the deans and executive directors)
- Izabela Vlahu (president of the GSA)
The search consultants
Perrett Laver is a global executive search firm finding exceptional leaders within education, research, healthcare, non-profits and civil society institutions. With offices soon-to-be located on four continents, they are well situated to help find the next president of the University of Saskatchewan.
Perrett Laver has a high level of expertise in post-secondary searches, shown by their high success rate in finding suitable candidates. They have most recently assisted in the searches for leadership positions at the University of Alberta, The University of Adelaide, Yachay Tech and the University of Bristol.