2012 Business Plan Competition - The Tech Venture Challenge
The University of Saskatchewan Industry Liaison Office (ILO) is pleased to announce a new business plan competition for entrepreneurs with a technology-based business idea.
The Tech Venture Challenge gives University of Saskatchewan employees, researchers, students and alumni an opportunity to pursue their dream of creating their own company.
- Finalists receive ongoing mentorship, guidance, and training.
- The Winner receives $50,000 to go towards the development of the business.
How do you WIN?
Submit a business plan that includes actionable operational, marketing and financing plans based on sound technology that has real commercial potential.
Who can WIN?
- Individuals or Teams, as long as the Team Leader has the U of S affiliation.
- A U of S affiliation includes students, post-doc, alumni, faculty and staff).
- The business idea must be technology based
- Business Start-Up must be located in Saskatchewan
- Must be willing to participate in Tech Venture Challenge training workshops and programs.
- If it is an existing company, the company must have been in operation less than one year, as of April 27th, 2012
What technology can WIN?
This can be any technology that adds higher value to products or services or creates new product or services. This technology can be in any sector, for example; ICT, Life Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Environmental.
How do I apply?
The first step is to submit an application form, due April 27th, 2012 which gives a brief outline of your business idea. To download the application form (in Microsoft Word) please click here.
What are the Timelines?
1. February 1, - Initial Announcement and Networking Event, click here for details.
2. Feb 1 - Apr 27 - ongoing Wilson Centre Entrepreneurial Workshops
3. April 27 - Deadline to submit your Application Form
4. May 10 - Finalist Announced
5. May 11 - Business Planning Workshop (Full day)
6. May - Sept - ongoing mentoring and support for business plan development
7. July 25 - 4:00 - 5:30 pm - SR&ED Tax Credits
8. August 16 - 4:00 - 5:30 pm - Market Feasibility and market entry plan
9. August 30 - 4:00 - 5:30 pm - Intellectual Property Protection
10. September 11 (Radisson Hotel Saskatoon) or September 13 (Conexus Arts Centre Regina) - 8:00 - 4:00 - The Perfect Pitch workshop
11. September 27 - 4:00 - 5:30 pm - Pitch practices - tentative
12. September 30th - Final submission date for the business plans.
13. Tuesday October 9th - 9:00 am - 12 noon Location ILO Boardroom - 9 Finalists Pitches to Judges panel. The top three pitches will be chosen.
14. Wednesday October 10th, 7:30 - 9:00 am (breakfast included) at Boffins (Innovation Place) - top three finalists will pitch to the university, business and investor community, with the $50,000 winner to be announced. Please register and join us at the Finale and learn more about the exciting business ideas the teams have been developing over the past several months..
Big thanks to our sponsors!
(Last Updated on September 20, 2012)