Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
2012 Leading Edge Fund (LEF) and New Initiative Fund
Note: the following has been posted for those who have had an Expression of Interest approved by the University of Saskatchewan CFI Advisory Committee. Expressions of Interest are no longer being accepted.
Accessing the forms
The Notice of Intent and the Full Application are completed using the CFI Awards Management System (CAMS). CAMS is located at www.innovation.ca, click on ‘CFI on-line’ and then on ‘Researchers’. Note that you require a user name (your email address) and password. If you used a CFI PIN the last time you logged-in to the CFI on-line forms, you must follow the instructions at the bottom of the screen to convert your account to a user name (your email address).
Important competition documents:
Please take note of important competition documents on the CFI website.
- LEF/NIF webpage
- Call for Proposals (review criteria included)
- Guidelines for completing a proposal (review criteria included)
- Technical instructions (for completing the application)
- Getting Started with CAMS
- Template NOI (LEF, NIF)
- Template Proposal (available Fall 2011)
Submitting the draft application and Notice of Intent:
The draft application provides the CFI Advisory Committee with an opportunity to provide you with some feedback, similar to the multi-disciplinary assessment committee reviews at CFI, early in the application development process.
- Complete the Notice of Intent at CFI on-line (http://www.innovation.ca/en/cfi-online). Do not click submit. Save a pdf copy of the Notice of Intent.
- Complete the draft application as indicated in next paragraph.
- E-mail the draft application and Notice of Intent to your Programs Specialist (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
The draft application provides the CFI Advisory Committee with an opportunity to provide you with some feedback, similar to the multi-disciplinary assessment committee reviews at CFI, early in the application development process. The draft application will also assist the consultants with assisting you in developing a strong application.
- Please submit a Word document consisting of one section for each of the following categories which relate directly to CFI’s assessment criteria and form the main section of the CFI application:
- Performance Report (LEF only)
- Research or Technology Development
- Benefits to Canadians
- Under each heading, the draft should clearly identify your thought process or strategy for addressing the section.
- Refer to the “Guidelines for completing a proposal” on CFI’s website for more information on the assessment criteria http://www.innovation.ca/docs/forms/2011/lef_nif_2012_guidelines_e.pdf .
- Plan to attend the Information session on December 2 for additional strategies on developing the application.
Strategic Research Plan:
Projects must be consistent with the strategic priorities of the university. CFI Reviewers will be provided with a copy of the University of Saskatchewan Strategic Research Plan. For your reference, the plan is located at: http://www.usask.ca/research/research_services/crc.php#SP.
Please use the budget template to prepare your project budget. The Institutional Programs Office will assist with entering the information into the CFI on-line forms. The budget spreadsheet is located at: http://www.usask.ca/research/research_services/innovation/cfibudgetworksheet.xls.
Getting budgetary pricing from suppliers:
Please provide the Request for Budgetary Pricing (RFBP) form to suppliers to ensure that pricing is in the required CFI format. Suppliers must complete the Equipment, Utility and Environmental Requirements page that is included in the RFBP. This data will be used by Facilities Management Division to review your space requirements. See the RFBP at http://www.usask.ca/research/files/index.php?id=119.