Bram NobleProfessor, Department of Geography and Planning, College of Arts and Science
Professor, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Assessment, Memorial University
- Master of Environmental Studies in Resource Management, Wilfred Laurier University
- Bachelor of Arts Honours, Economic Geography, Memorial University
Environmental assessment; environmental planning and management; implications of resource development; environmental decision-making
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Northern Communities. "Strategic environmental assessment roles and stakes in Arctic oil and gas development" (Collaborator: A. Aitken, U of S; Partners: G. Poelzer, U of S; Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers; Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency).
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Environment. "Institutional arrangements for watershed cumulative effects assessment" (Co-investigator: R. Patrick, U of S. Collaborators: R. deLoe, UWaterloo; H. Schrier, UBC).
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. "Effectiveness and Canadian environmental impact assessment" (Co-investigator; K. Hanna, PI WLU).
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada MCRI. "Resources and sustainable development in the Arctic" (Co-investigator; C. Southcott PI).
- Canadian Water Network. "Development of the Healthy River Ecosystem Assessment System for Assessing and Adaptively Managing the Cumulative Effects of Man-made Developments on Canadian Freshwaters" (Co-investigators: K. Munkittrick, UNB; L. Jackson, Calgary; B. Noble, U of S; H. Schreier, UBC; P. Duinker, Dalhousie; C. Westbrook, U of S; M. McMaster, UWaterloo/NWRI; M. Servos, UWaterloo).
- Noble, B.F., Hill, M. and J. Neilsen. 2011 Environmental assessment framework for identifying and mitigating the effects of linear development to wetlands. Landscape and Urban Planning. 99: 133-140.
- Nasen, L. Noble, B.F., and J. Johnstone 2011. Environmental effects assessment of oil and gas lease sites on a grassland ecosystem. Journal of Environmental Management. 92: 195-204.
- Seitz, N.E., Westbrook, C.J. and B.F. Noble 2011. Bringing science into river systems cumulative effects assessment practice. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 31: 180-186.
- Noble, B.F. and J. Birk 2011. Comfort monitoring? Environmental assessment follow-up under community-industry negotiated environmental agreements. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 31(1): 17-24.
- Gunn, J. and B.F. Noble 2011. Conceptual and Methodological Challenges to Integrating SEA and Cumulative Effects Assessment. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 31: 154-160.
- Noble, B.F. and C. Fidler 2011. Advancing Indigenous Community - Corporate Agreements: Lessons from Practice in the Canadian Mining Sector. Oil, Gas and Energy Law Intelligence. In Press.
- Noble, B.F. and J. Gunn 2010. Regional strategic environmental assessment for integrated land management. Horizons, 10(4): 106-112 (Invited paper, special 10th anniversary issue on Sustainable Places).
- Noble, B.F. 2010. Cumulative environmental effects and the tyranny of small decisions: Toward meaningful cumulative effects assessment and management. Natural Resources and Environmental Studies Institute Occasional Paper Series, paper no. 7, University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, B.C., Canada.
- Noble, B.F. 2010. Introduction to Environmental Impact Assessment: Guide to Principles and Practice, 2nd Edition. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Noble, B.F. 2010. Applying Adaptive Environmental Management. In B. Mitchell (ed.), Resource and Environmental Management in Canada: Addressing Conflict and Uncertainty 4th Edition. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Noble, B.F. and J. Harriman Gunn. 2009. Strategic Impact Assessment. In K. Hanna (ed.), Environmental Impact Assessment - Practice and Participation, 2nd Edition. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
- Gunn, J. and B.F. Noble 2009. Integrating cumulative effects in regional strategic environmental assessment frameworks: lessons from practice. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management. 11(3): 267-290.
- Gachechiladze, M., B.F. Noble and B. Bitter. 2009. Following-up in strategic environmental assessment: a case study of 20-year forest management planning in Saskatchewan, Canada. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 27(1): 45-56.
- Gunn, J. and B. F. Noble 2009. A conceptual basis and methodological framework for regional strategic environmental assessment (R-SEA). Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 27(4): 258-270.
- Noble, B.F. 2009. Promise and dismay: the state of strategic environmental assessment systems and practices in Canada. Environmental Impact Assessment Review. 29(1): 66-75.
- Noble, B.F. 2008. Strategic approaches to regional cumulative effects assessment: a case study of the Great Sand Hills, Canada. Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal. 26(2): 78-90.
- Harriman, J. and B.F. Noble 2008. Characterizing regional approaches to project and cumulative effects assessment in Canada. Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management. 10(1): 25-50.
- Noble, B.F. and L. Christmas. 2008. Strategic environmental assessment of greenhouse gas mitigation options in the Canadian agricultural sector. Environmental Management. 41(1):64-78.
- Noble, B.F. 2006. Multi-criteria decision support for energy supply assessment. In. G. Hearth (ed.), Multi-criteria Analysis. Hampshire, UK: Ashgate.
- Cumulative environmental effects assessment and management for regions and watersheds
- Strategic environmental assessment for offshore energy planning and development in Canada's Arctic
- Efficacy of environmental impact assessment in Canada
- GEOG 886.3 - Advanced Environmental Impact Assessment