Christy MorrisseyAssociate Professor, Department of Biology, College of Arts and Science
Associate Professor, School of Environment and Sustainability
- Doctor of Philosophy, Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University
- Bachelor of Science, Zoology, University of British Columbia
Avian ecology and wildlife ecotoxicology; effect of pollution stressors (pesticides, endocrine disruptors, industrial and urban pollutants) on insects, birds and aquatic ecosystems; understanding the effects of chemicals on whole life cycles of birds; freshwater ecology and pollution
- Effects of pesticides and land use on farmland and insectivorous birds
- Understanding fate of neonicotinoid insecticides in wetlands with implications for aquatic insects and birds in agricultural ecosystems, with special interest in the Prairie Pothole Region
- Investigating changes in hormone homeostasis in birds exposed to endocrine disruptors and industrial pollutants- effects on learning, cognition and migratory behaviour.
- Urban stream pollution and river bird health and reproduction
- Effect of small scale run of the river hydro on river birds and mountain stream ecosystems
- SongbirdSOS, CBC Nature of Things documentary featuring Christy Morrissey
- U of S research takes flight in SongbirdSOS documentary, The Sheaf
- Are the Prairies getting quieter? Songbirds are declining in number, CBC News
- No plans to follow Ontario's lead on pesticides, The Star Phoenix
- New generation: Growing up reading Rachel Carson, scientists unravel risks of new pesticides, Environmental Health News
- The Birds and Bees - and the Pesticides, CBC Radio Quirks and Quarks
- Student tracks pesticides in wetlands, The Star Phoenix
- Neonicotinoids: The new DDT?, This Earth Focus documentary investigates the science and controversy behind neonics and insecticides. Features SENS' Christy Morrissey.
- DFO National Contaminants Advisory Group, September 2014
- NSERC Strategic Project Grant, October 2012
- NSERC Discovery Grant, April 2011
Main A.R., Michel N.L., Headley J.V., Peru K.M., and Morrissey C.A (in revision). Drivers of neonicotinoid insecticide detections and concentrations in Canada’s Prairie wetlands. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Zahara, A.R.D., Michel, N.L., Flahr, L.M., Ejack, L.E., and C.A. Morrissey 2015. Latent cognitive effects from low-level PCB exposure in juvenile European starlings, Sturnus vulgaris. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry DOI 10.1002/35c.3084
- Michel, N.L., Smith, A., Clark, R.G.*, Hobson, K.A.*, and C.A. Morrissey (in review). Continental-scale analysis of population trends of aerial insectivores reveals diverse spatiotemporal patterns. Methods in Ecology and Evolution
- Michel, N.L., Hobson, K.A., C.A. Morrissey, Clark, R.G. (in review). Climate variability explains most of the variation in population trends among North American aerial insectivorous birds. Nature Climate Change
- Flahr, L.M., Michel, N.L., Zahara A.R.D., Jones, P.D., and C.A. Morrissey. 2015. Developmental exposure to Aroclor 1254 alters migratory behaviour in juvenile European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris). Environmental Science and Technology 49(10):6274-83.
- Morrissey, C.A., Devries, J., Mineau, P., Sanchez-Bayo, F., Liess, M., Cavallaro, M., Liber, K. 2015. Neonicotinoid contamination of surface waters and relative risks to aquatic invertebrates: a review. Environment International 74:291-303.
- Delso, N. and 29 others alphabetically (incl. Morrissey, C.A.). 2014. Systemic insecticides (neonicotinoids and fipronil): trends, uses, mode of action and metabolites. Environ Sci and Poll Res (special issue). DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-3470-y
- Pisa, L. and 17 others (incl Morrissey, C.A.) 2014. Effects of neonicotinoids and fipronil on non-target invertebrates. Environ Sci and Poll Res (special issue). DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-3471-x
- Changnon, M., Kreutzweiser D., Mitchell, E.A.D., Morrissey, C.A., Noome, D.A. and Van der Sluijs, J. 2014. Risks of large scale use of systemic insecticides to ecosystem functioning and services. Environ Sci and Poll Res (special issue). DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-3277-x.
- Van der Sluijs, J.P. and 29 others alphabetically (incl. Morrissey, C.A.) 2014. Conclusions of the Worldwide Integrated Assessment on the risks of neonicotinoids and fipronil to biodiversity and ecosystem functioning. Environ Sci and Poll Res (special issue). DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-3229-5.
- Gibbons, D., Morrissey, C.A., Mineau, P. 2014. A review of the direct and indirect effects of neonicotinoids and fipronil on vertebrate wildlife. Environ Sci and Poll Res (special issue). DOI 10.1007/s11356-014-3180-5.
- Morrissey C.A., Stanton D.W.G., Tyler C.R., Pereira M.G., Newton J., Durance I., Ormerod S.J. 2014. Developmental impairment in Eurasian dipper nestlings exposed to urban stream pollutants. Environ Toxicol Chem 33(6): 1315–1323.
- Main A.R., Headley J.V., Peru K.M., Michel N.L., Cessna A.J., and Morrissey C.A. 2014. Widespread use and frequent detection of neonicotinoid insecticides in wetlands of Canada's prairie pothole region. PLoS ONE 9:e92821.
- Cavallaro, M., Main, A.R., and Morrissey, C.A. 2014. Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus) interference with aquatic invertebrate traps. Canadian Field Naturalist 128 (2):200-203.
- Morrissey, C.A., Stanton, D.W.G., Pereira, D.G., Durance, I., Tyler, C.R., Ormerod, S.J. 2013. Eurasian dipper eggs indicate elevated organohalogenated contaminants in urban rivers. Environ Sci &Technol. 47 (15): 8931–8939.
- Morrissey, C.A., Boldt, A., Mapstone, A., Newton, J. and S.J. Ormerod. 2013. Stable isotopes as indicators of wastewater effects on the macroinvertebrates of urban rivers. Hydrobiologia 700: 231-244.
- Elliott, J.E., Levac, J., Guigueno, M.F., Shaw, P., Wayland, M., Morrissey, C.A., Muir, D.C.G., and K.H. Elliott. 2012. Factors influencing legacy pollutant accumulation in alpine osprey: biology, topography, or melting glaciers? Environmental Science and Technology 46(17):9681-89.
- Morrissey, C.A., Pollet, I., Ormerod, S.J. and J.E. Elliott. 2012. American dippers indicate contaminant biotransport by Pacific salmon. Environmental Science and Technology 46 (2), pp 1153–1162.
ENVS 806.3 – Field Skills in Environment and Sustainability
BIOL 875.3 – Ecotoxicology Theory and Practice
- BIOL 475.3 - Ecological Toxicology
BIOL 410.3- Current Perspectives in Environmental Biology
BIOL 121.3 – Nature of Life