Fran WalleyProfessor, School of Environment and Sustainability
Professor, Department of Soil Science, College of Agriculture and Bioresources
- Doctor of Philosophy in Soil Science, University of Saskatchewan
- Master of Science in Soil Science, University of Manitoba
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, University of Manitoba
Soil nitrogen (N) dynamics; soil organic matter; bioavailable soil N pools; soil quality; biological dinitrogen fixation; biofertilizers; GHG emissions; soil quality and sustainability; food security; N- and C- XANES
- Pennock, D.J., F.L. Walley, R.E. Farrell, D. Knight and J. Schoenau. Effects of improved nitrogen and stand management on net greenhouse gas balances in forage production systems, Agricultural Greenhouse Gases Program, March 2012 – September 2015.
- Walley, F.L. and J.J. Germida, Assessment of arbuscular mycorrhizal inoculants for pulse production systems, NSERC-CRD, October 2011 – November 2014.
- Walley, F.L. and J.J. Germida. Assessment of arbuscular mycorrhizal inoculants for flax production, Agriculture Development Fund, Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture, December 2011 – April 10, 2015.
- Henry, C.J., S. Beyenne (Hawassa University), and 12 others. Improving nutrition in Ethiopia through plant breeding and soil management, Canadian International Food Security Research Fund (CIDA-IDRC) March 2012 – October 2014.
- Vandenberg, A., T. Warketin, F. Walley and K. Bett. Improving bioavailability of iron in lentils and peas, Agriculture Development Fund, Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture, April 2012 to March 2015.
- Gillespie, A., A. Diochon, B.L. Ma, M.J. Morrison, L. Kellman, F.L. Walley, T.Z. Regier, D. Chevrier, J.J. Dynes, and E.G. Gregorich. 2013. Nitorgen input quality changes the biochemical composition of soil organic matter stabilized in the fine fraction: a long-term study. Biogeochemistry (DOI 10.1007/s10533-013-9871-z)
- Hongyan, J., J.J. Germida and F.L. Walley. 2013. Impact of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal inoculants on subsequent arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi colonization in pot-cultured field pea (Pisum sativum L.). Mycorrhiza 23:45-59.
- Hongyan, J., J.J. Germida and F.L. Walley. 2012. Impact of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal inoculants on subsequent arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi colonization in pot-cultured field pea (Pisum sativum L.). Mycorrhiza (doi 10.1007/s00572-012-0448-9).
- Gillespie, A.W., F.L. Walley, R.E. Farrell, P. Leinweber, K.-U. Eckhardt, T.Z. Regier, R.I.R. Blyth. 2011. XANES and Pyrolysis-FIMS evidence of organic matter composition in a hummocky landscape. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:1-15.
- Gillespie, A.W., R.E. Farrell, F.L. Walley, A.R.S. Ross, P. Leinweber, K.-U. Eckhardt, T.Z. Regier, and R.I.R. Blyth, 2011. Glomalin-related soil protein contains non-mycorrhizal-related heat-stable proteins, lipids and humic acids. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 43:766-777.
- Lafond, G., F. Walley, W.E. May and C.B. Holzapfel. 2011. Long term impact of no-till on soil properties and crop productivity on the Canadian prairies. Soil and Tillage Research 117:110-123 (doi:10.1016/j.still.2011.09.006)
- Helgason, B.L., F.L. Walley, J.J. Germida, 2010. Long-term no-till management affects microbial biomass but not community composition in Canadian prairie agroecosystems. Soil Biol. Biochem. 42:2192-2202.
- Helgason, B.L., F.L. Walley, and J.J. Germida, 2010. No-till management increases microbial biomass and alters community profiles in soil aggregates. Applied Soil Ecology 46:390-397.
- Baird, J.M., F.L. Walley, and S.J. Shirtliffe. 2010. Arbscular mycorrhizal fungi colonization and phosphorus nutrition in organic field pea and lentil. Mycorrhiza, 20:541-549.
- Walley, F.L., G.W. Clayton, P.R. Miller, P.M. Carr and G.P. Lafond. 2007. Nitrogen economy of pulse crop production in the Northern Great Plains. Agron. J. 99: 1710-1718.
- ENVS 401 – Sustainability in Action
AGRC 111 – Agricultural Science
- SLSC 343 – The Living Soil: Soil Microbes and Humankind
- SLSC 816 – Soil Organic Matter