Howard WheaterDirector, Global Institute for Water Security
Canada Excellence Research Chair in Water Security
Professor, School of Environment and Sustainability
Professor, Department of Civil and Geological Engineering, College of Engineering
- Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering/Hydrology, University of Bristol
- Master's in Engineering Science, University of Cambridge
- Bachelor's in Engineering Science, with Honours, University of Cambridge
Hydrological processes and modelling, with applications to the management of flood risk, water resources, water quality, wastes and climate change adaptation
- CERC Spotlight: Solving global water problems with strategic, place-based science
- Water research and the U of S: A natural fit, U of S Green&White
- 2011 - Wheater, H.S. (co-PI). Hydrological Extremes and Feedbacks in the Changing Water Cycle. Changing Water Cycle Programme, UK.
- 2010 - Anderson, R. (PI); Wheater as co-applicant. CLIMATE KIC Addressing Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation. European Institute of Technology.
- 2010 - Wheater, H.S. Canada Excellence Research Chair in Water Security. Canada Excellence Research Chairs Program, Government of Canada.
- 2008 - Wheater, H.S. (PI). Enhancing the Knowledge Base and Capacity Building in Drylands. UNESCO.
- 2008 - O'Connell, P.E. (PI); Wheater as co-applicant. Land Use Management Effects in Extreme Floods. Natural Environment Research Council, UK.
- 2008 - Briggs, S. (PI), Wheater as co-applicant. DIAMOND: Decommissioning, Immobilisation and Management of Nuclear Wastes for Disposal. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, UK.
- 2008 - Wheater, H.S. (PI). Managing Water as a Scarce Resource for Human Needs, UNESCO.
- 2008 - Lee, W. (PI); Wheater as co-applicant. DIAMOND: Decommissioning, Immobilisation and Management of Nuclear Wastes for Disposal. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, UK.
- 2008 - Wheater, H.S. (PI). Impacts of Land Management on Flood Risk Phase 2. Flood Risk Management Research Consortium (FRMRC) Phase 2.
- 2008 - Pender, G. (PI); Wheater as co-applicant. Flood Risk Management Research Consortium Phase 2. Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, UK, and others.
- Wheater, H.S., Mathias, S. and Li, X. (Eds) (2010) Groundwater modelling in arid and semi-arid areas. Cambridge University Press.
- Wheater, H.S., Sorooshian, S. and Sharma KD (Eds.) (2008) Hydrological modelling in arid and semi-arid areas. Cambridge University Press. 195pp.
- Wheater, H.S., Bell, J.N.B., Butler, A.P., Jackson, B.M., Ciciani, L., Ashworth, D., Shaw, G.G. (2007) Biosphere implications of deep disposal of nuclear waste. The upwards migration of radionuclides in vegetated soils. Series on Environmental Science and Management, Vol. 5, Imperial College Press, 402pp.
- Wagener, T., Wheater, H.S. and Gupta, H.V. (2004) Rainfall-Runoff Modelling in Gauged and Ungauged Catchments, Imperial College Press, 306pp.
- Wheater, H.S. and Kirby, C. (Eds.) (1998) Hydrology in a Changing Environment. Vol. 1, Wiley, 592 pp.
- Wheater, H.S. and Kirby, C. (Eds.) (1998) Hydrology in a Changing Environment. Vol. 2, Wiley, 604 pp.
- Wheater, H.S. and Kirby, C. (Eds.) (1998) Hydrology in a Changing Environment. Vol. 3, Wiley, 455 pp.
Selected Journal Publications
- Howden, N.J.K, Neal, C., Wheater, H.S. and Kirk, S. (2010) Water quality of lowland, permeable Chalk rivers: the Frome and Piddle. Hydrology Research, 41.2, pp75-91.
- Second, M-L., Wheater, H.S. and Onof, C. (2010) Investigation of the performance of a simple rainfall disaggregation scheme using semi-distributed hydrological modeling of the Lee catchment, UK. Hydrology Research, 41.2, pp 134-144.
- Wheater, H. and Evans, E (2009) Land use, water management and future flood risk. Land Use Policy 26S, S251-S264.
- Kenabatho, P.K., McIntyre, N.R. and Wheater, H.S. (2009) Impacts of climate change on water resource planning in Botswana (in review).
- Chun, K.P., Wheater, H.S. and Onof, C.J. (2009) Projecting and hindcasting potential evaporation for the UK between 1950 and 2099 (in review).
- Pechlivanidis I.G., McIntyre N., Wheater H.S., 2009, ‘Calibration of a semi-distributed rainfall-runoff model using parameter regionalisation', Journal of Hydrology (In review).
- Elshamy, M.E. and Wheater, H.S. (2009) Performance assessment of a GCM land surface scheme using a fine-scale calibrated hydrological model: An evaluation of MOSES for the Nile Basin. Hydrol. Process. 23, 1548-1564 DOI: 10.1002.
- Bulygina, N., McIntyre, N. and Wheater, H.S. (2009) Conditioning rainfall-runoff model parameters for ungauged catchments and land management impacts analysis. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 13, 893-904, www.hydrol-earth-syst-sci.net/13/893/2009.
- Chun, K.P., Wheater, H.S. and Onof, C.J. (2009) Streamflow estimation for six UK catchments under future climate scenarios. Hydrology Research, 40.2-3, 96-112.
- Marshall, M.R., Francis, O.J., Frogbrook, Z.L., Jackson, B.M., McIntyre, N., Reynolds, B., Solloway, I., Wheater, H.S., Chell, J. (2009)The impact of upland land management on flooding: results from an improved pasture hillslope Hydrol. Process. 23(3), 30, 464-475.
- Ireson, A.M., Mathias, S.A., Wheater, H.S., Butler, A.P., Finch, J. A model for flow in the Chalk unsaturated zone incorporating progressive Weathering. (2009) Journal of Hydrology 365, 3-4, 244-260.
- Jackson B.M., Chell J, Francis O.J., Frogbrook Z., Marshall, M., McIntyre, N.R., Reynolds, B., Solloway, I., Wheater, H.S. The impact of upland land management on flooding: insights from a multi-scale experimental and modelling programme.(2008) Journal of Flood Risk Management, 1,2, 71-80.
- Al-Qurashi, A., McIntyre, N., Wheater, H., Unkrich, C. (2008) Application of the Kineros2 rainfall-runoff model to an arid catchment in Oman. Journal of Hydrology, 355, 91-105.
- Makropoulos, C., Koutsoyiannis, D., Stanić, M., Djordjević, S., Prodanović, D., Dašić, T., Prohaska, S., Maksimović, Wheater, H.S. (2008) A multi-model approach to the simulation of large scale karst flows. Journal of Hydrology, 348, 412-424.
- Mathias, S.A., Butler, A.P. and Wheater, H.S. (2008) Modelling radioiodine transport across a capillary fringe. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 99, Iss 4, 716-729.