Jeffrey McDonnellProfessor, School of Environment and Sustainability
Associate Director, Global Institute for Water Security
- Doctor of Philosophy in Forest Hydrology, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Master of Science in Watershed Ecosystems, Trent University
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Geography, University of Toronto
Watershed hydrology; runoff processes and modelling; isotope hydrology; hydrological theory
- Jeffrey McDonnell elected to the Royal Society of Canada, This year's new Fellows will be inducted to the academies of the RSC during the Induction and Awards Ceremony on Friday, November 27, 2015 at Fairmont Empress in Victoria, BC.
- Study overturns knowledge about plant hydrological cycles, Lab Product News, Jaivime Evaristo and Jeff McDonnell
- Nature publishes U of S research paper, The Star Phoenix, Jaivime Evaristo and Jeffrey McDonnell
- U of S study lends new insight into the water cycle, U of S media release, Jaivime Evaristo and Jeffrey McDonnell
- Creating a research brand, by Jeff McDonnell, Science Magazine
- University lab in Canada seeks to improve mine cover options, SNL Financial, Jeff McDonnell, MOST Facility
- Research centre explores mine reclamation, The Star Phoenix, GIWS and Jeffrey McDonnell
- Funding for closed mine reclamation, Saskatoon Home Page, GIWS
- $1.8 million awarded for new mine reclamation facility, May 2015
- How to be an academic, On Campus News May 2015
- Wonderful World of Water, On Campus News September 24, 2014
- NSERC Discovery Grant, How do watersheds store and release water?, $89,000 per year, 2014-2019
- NSERC Accelerator Award, How do watersheds store and release water?, $40,000 per year, 2014-2016
- 2015- President-Elect, AGU Hydrology Section
- 2015 CONICYT Visiting Professor, Universidad Austral de Chile and Universidad Catolica de Chile
- 2014 Visiting Professor, University of Arizona and Biosphere-2
- 2014 Fellow, Geological Society of America
- 2014- Fellow, Royal Geographical Society (UK)
- 2014 NSERC Joint Prizes Selection Committee (for the John C. Polanyi Award, the Brockhouse Canada Prize, and the Gerhard Herzberg Canada Gold Medal)
Ali, G., C. Birkel, D. Tetzlaff, C. Soulsby, J.J. McDonnell and T. Paola. 2013. A comparison of wetness indices for the prediction of connected saturated areas under contrasting conditions. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, DOI: 10.1002/esp.3506.
Ali, G., Tetzlaff, D., Kruitbos, L., Soulsby, C., Carey, S., McDonnell, J., Buttle, J., Laudon, H., Seibert, J., McGuire, K., and Shanley, J., 2013. Analysis of hydrological seasonality across northern catchments using monthly precipitation–runoff polygon metrics. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 59 (1), 1–17.
Allen, S. T., Brooks, J. R., Keim, R. F., Bond, B. J. and McDonnell, J. J., 2013. The role of pre-event canopy storage in throughfall and stemflow by using isotopic tracers. Ecohydrology. doi: 10.1002/eco.1408
Carey, S., D. Tetzlaff, J. Buttle, H. Laudon, J.J. McDonnell, K. McGuire, J. Seibert, C. Soulsby and J. Shanley, 2013. Use of color maps and wavelet coherence to discern short and longer-term climate influences on streamflow variability in northern catchments. Water Resources Research, 49(10): 6194-6207, DOI: 10.1002/wrcr.20469
Gupta, H.V, G. Blöschl, J. J. McDonnell, H. H. G. Savenije, M. Sivapalan, A. Viglione and T. Wagener, 2013. Synthesis of the Benchmark Report, in Blöschl et al. Runoff Prediction in Ungauged Basins: Synthesis Across Processes, Places and Scales. Cambridge University Press.
Hrachowitz, M., Savenije, H.H.G., Blöschl, G., McDonnell, J.J., Sivapalan, M., Pomeroy, J.W., Arheimer, B., Blume, T., Clark, M.P., Ehret, U., Fenicia, F., Freer, J.E., Gelfan, A., Gupta, H.V., Hughes, D.A., Hut, R.W., Montanari, A., Pande, S., Tetzlaff, D., Troch, P.A., Uhlenbrook, S., Wagener, T., Winsemius, H.C., Woods, R.A., Zehe, E. and C. Cudennec, C., 2013. A decade of Predictions in Ungauged Basins (PUB) - a review. Hydrological Sciences Journal, 58(6): 1198-1255, DOI:10.1080/02626667.2013.803183.
Jaeger, W., A. J. Plantinga, H. Chang, K. Dello, G. Grant, D. Hulse, J.J. McDonnell, S. Lancaster, H. Moradkhani A.T. Morzillo, P. Mote, A. Nolin, M. Santelmann and J. Wu, 2013. Toward a formal definition of water scarcity in natural-human systems. Water Resources Research, 49(7): 4506–4517, DOI: 10.1002/wrcr.20249.
Klaus, J. and J. J. McDonnell, 2013. Hydrograph separation using stable isotopes: Review and evaluation. Journal of Hydrology, 505: 47-64.
Klaus, J. E. Zehe, M. Elsner, C. Külls, and J. J. McDonnell, 2013. Macropore flow of old water revisited: experimental insights from a tile-drained landscape? Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17, 103-118. DOI: 10.5194/hess-17-103-2013
Lanni C., J.J. McDonnell, L. Hopp, R. Rigon, 2013. Simulated effect of soil depth and bedrock topography on near-surface hydrologic response and slope stability. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms,38: 146-159. DOI: 10.1002/esp.3267
Laudon, H, D. Tetzlaff, C. Soulsby, S. Carey, J. Seibert, J. Buttle, J. Shanley, J.J. McDonnell and K. McGuire, 2013. Change in winter climate will affect dissolved organic carbon and water fluxed in mid-to-high latitude catchments, Hydrological Processes, 27(5): 700-709. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.9686.
Muñoz-Villers, L. E. and McDonnell, J. J., 2013. Land use change effects on runoff generation in a humid tropical montane cloud forest region, Hydrology and Earth System Science, 17: 3543-3560, doi:10.5194/hess-17-3543-2013, 2013.
McDonnell, J.J., 2013. Are all runoff processes the same? Hydrological Processes, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10076.
McDonnell, J.J., 2014. The two water worlds hypothesis: Ecohydrological separation of water between streams and trees? Wires Water, in press.
McDonnell, J.J. and K. Beven, 2014. A call to action aimed at understanding velocities, celerities and residence time distributions of the headwater hydrograph. Water Resources Research, in press.
Pangle, L, J.J. McDonnell and J. Gregg, 2014. Rainfall seasonality and an ecohydrological feedback offset the potential impact of climate warming on evapotranspiration and groundwater recharge. Water Resources Research, 50: DOI: 10.1002/2012WR013253
Pangle, L., J. Klaus, E. Berman, M. Gupta and J,J. McDonnell, 2013. A new multisource and high-frequency approach to measuring 2H and 18O in hydrological field studies. Water Resources Research, DOI: 10.1002/2013WR013743
Seibert, J. and J.J. McDonnell, 2013. Gauging the ungauged basin: the relative value of hard and soft data. Journal of Hydrological Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000861.
Tetzlaff, D., C. Soulsby C, Buttle, R. Capell, S.K. Carey, L. Kruitbos, H. Laudon, J.J. McDonnell, K. McGuire, J. Seibert and J. Shanley, 2013. Catchments on the Cusp? Structural and functional change in northern ecohydrological systems. Hydrological Processes, 27(5):766-774, doi: 10.1002/hyp.9686.